PDA

View Full Version : The Lounge

Moonjik
01-03-2017, 08:47 PM
Here's a place to just chill n' quill (thank Pop for that one ;)2). Feel free to chat about pretty much anything here.

Faker
01-03-2017, 08:54 PM
So... I just finished up an unexpected but welcome batch of Steven Universe episodes. Pretty good, pretty good. I do recommend it to you guys. It's actually really intense and well-written/thought out, despite being a cartoon.

(And yes I realize that's coming from a brony, but I think SU is leagues above of MLP. They're not even comparable.)

Also GoB, I'm starting Sherlock. :3

Moonjik
01-03-2017, 08:56 PM
Yes! You'll love it. Or I loved it at least. Beware Season 4 spoilers though.

I've never actually watched Steven's Universe lol. Would you recommend?

Dion
01-03-2017, 09:15 PM
I love Steven Universe. :)

LAWLzoR
01-03-2017, 09:35 PM
I don't really watch TV shows. I mostly spend most of my time on my laptop, and Youtube is an unreliable place for shows (at least good quality videos of those shows anyway).

Moonjik
01-03-2017, 09:47 PM
I don't really watch TV shows. I mostly spend most of my time on my laptop, and Youtube is an unreliable place for shows (at least good quality videos of those shows anyway).
What do you mainly like to do for fun on your laptop, if you don't mind me asking?

EDIT: I just realised Dion spelt our name wrong...

Dion
01-03-2017, 09:53 PM

There is streaming sites to use. I think you'd enjoy SU.

LAWLzoR
01-03-2017, 10:02 PM
1) What's SU?
2) I mainly play games, watch Youtube videos, or talk with friends. I'm trying to start reading more, but it's not going too well.

Moonjik
01-03-2017, 10:04 PM
1) What's SU?
2) I mainly play games, watch Youtube videos, or talk with friends. I'm trying to start reading more, but it's not going too well.
Steven's Universe.

And reading books are great. This was the year I got back into reading (I read 52 books this year). I tried to make a top ten list of books I read on the forum but the formatting messed up and I lost everything. Didn't feel like typing it all up again so I just let it go.

Faker
01-03-2017, 10:06 PM
Whenever I offer my reason as to why people should watch SU, these are my highest selling points:
-Believeability: All of the characters have some sort of struggle or flaw that's highly relatable and isn't milked or over-dramatized for the sake of a good plot. They're very real problems they deal with (aside from the fact it involves magic gem creatures xP) and the crew behind the show has done their research on how the problem affects judgement, emotional development, and reactions.

-The continuity is absolutely amazing. I don't wanna spoil specific plot points, but everything comes back and has a meaning at some point. Even the smallest of things which seem inconsequential at the time are really setting something up. If you choose to watch the show pay attention: there will be so many callbacks and references to previous episodes that will make so much sense if you bother to remember them.

-Humor: It's hilarious at times, not much more to say. However it doesn't make fun of unfortunate situations, it knows when it has to be serious, it also knows when a situation needs a bit of levity.

-As I said before stellar writing. Some of the best I've seen, and this includes actual adult live-action works.

-The soundtrack and aesthetic is also simply beautiful.

-If you're a fan of video games or anime there's tons of references. And it's not the forced shoehorned "LOOK HOW RELEVANT AND RELATABLE WE ARE." The references are subtle and work with the world around them. Part of this is because the woman behind the show, Rebecca Sugar, grew up with stuff like Pokemon and Yoshi's Island. She's a huge geek.

-Most of all: the emotion. You will either cry or be on the verge of crying... many times. It conveys emotion in such a real way, and that extends to some pretty heavy scenes as well. You'll feel genuine anger toward a character at one point, and in another feel really bad for them. It's amazing how good the show is at affecting emotions.

Really, though, it's just something you have to see for yourself. Words cannot do it justice.

Moonjik
01-03-2017, 10:28 PM
Whenever I offer my reason as to why people should watch SU, these are my highest selling points:
-Believeability: All of the characters have some sort of struggle or flaw that's highly relatable and isn't milked or over-dramatized for the sake of a good plot. They're very real problems they deal with (aside from the fact it involves magic gem creatures xP) and the crew behind the show has done their research on how the problem affects judgement, emotional development, and reactions.

-The continuity is absolutely amazing. I don't wanna spoil specific plot points, but everything comes back and has a meaning at some point. Even the smallest of things which seem inconsequential at the time are really setting something up. If you choose to watch the show pay attention: there will be so many callbacks and references to previous episodes that will make so much sense if you bother to remember them.

-Humor: It's hilarious at times, not much more to say. However it doesn't make fun of unfortunate situations, it knows when it has to be serious, it also knows when a situation needs a bit of levity.

-As I said before stellar writing. Some of the best I've seen, and this includes actual adult live-action works.

-The soundtrack and aesthetic is also simply beautiful.

-If you're a fan of video games or anime there's tons of references. And it's not the forced shoehorned "LOOK HOW RELEVANT AND RELATABLE WE ARE." The references are subtle and work with the world around them. Part of this is because the woman behind the show, Rebecca Sugar, grew up with stuff like Pokemon and Yoshi's Island. She's a huge geek.

-Most of all: the emotion. You will either cry or be on the verge of crying... many times. It conveys emotion in such a real way, and that extends to some pretty heavy scenes as well. You'll feel genuine anger toward a character at one point, and in another feel really bad for them. It's amazing how good the show is at affecting emotions.

Really, though, it's just something you have to see for yourself. Words cannot do it justice.

Wow, you've sold me XD yet another thing I'll have to watch in 2017 along with Sherlock season 4, GoT season 7, Sense8 season 2, Stranger Things season 2, Rick and Morty, and Suits...I'm gonna have a busy year

rangernumberx
01-04-2017, 06:39 AM
Don't forget the surprisingly creepy moments. Can't have Steven Universe without some episodes which are just plain unsettling.

Moonjik
01-04-2017, 08:59 AM
Don't forget the surprisingly creepy moments. Can't have Steven Universe without some episodes which are just plain unsettling.
Well I do like creepy things...not FNAF though ;D

rangernumberx
01-04-2017, 09:09 AM
I don't think there's an episode where Steven stays in a haunted pizzeria, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Moonjik
01-04-2017, 09:14 AM
I don't think there's an episode where Steven stays in a haunted pizzeria, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Is it like Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated? 'Cos that was some dope shit

rangernumberx
01-04-2017, 09:31 AM

I've never seen that show, but I doubt SU is generally like Scooby Doo.

Moonjik
01-04-2017, 09:34 AM
I've never seen that show, but I doubt SU is generally like Scooby Doo.
Are you doing your duty and watching Sherlock, Rango?

rangernumberx
01-04-2017, 09:49 AM
Are you doing your duty and watching Sherlock, Rango?

Of course I am. What kind of Brit do you take me for?

Moonjik
01-04-2017, 09:52 AM
Of course I am. What kind of Brit do you take me for?
Thank God Ranger, you're a true Queen's man. What did you think of it? (Also, isn't Doctor Who much better without Clara?)

rangernumberx
01-04-2017, 09:57 AM
Definitely. Well, I mean, we've only had one episode, but I was never a fan of Clara: The initial concept was good (the same person popping up throughout the Doctor's timeline, similar to River Song), but I just never liked the character. They just seemed to be copying Amy, with the whole husband thing and others, but it just ended up feeling almost like she was a knockoff companion. I may be biased against her, but again, I just never liked her. Hopefully the new one will be better and actually original, and they give Capaldi good enough scripts so to actually prove himself as a good Doctor, which I don't feel like he's been able to do as much as any of the other 3 new Whos.

And as for Sherlock...just...for f**ks sake, can't something just go right for John? Just for a while?

Moonjik
01-04-2017, 10:02 AM
Definitely. Well, I mean, we've only had one episode, but I was never a fan of Clara: The initial concept was good (the same person popping up throughout the Doctor's timeline, similar to River Song), but I just never liked the character. They just seemed to be copying Amy, with the whole husband thing and others, but it just ended up feeling almost like she was a knockoff companion. I may be biased against her, but again, I just never liked her. Hopefully the new one will be better and actually original, and they give Capaldi good enough scripts so to actually prove himself as a good Doctor, which I don't feel like he's been able to do as much as any of the other 3 new Whos.

And as for Sherlock...just...for f**ks sake, can't something just go right for John? Just for a while?
I couldn't agree more. Clara just seemed like a rehash of Amy - young, pretty and sassy, but without many of Amy's good qualities. The Return of Doctor Mysterio was one of my favourite episodes in a looooong time. Just the idea of superheroes in the Doctor Who universe. I didn't used to be a big fan of Capaldi but this really changed my opinion of him.

And no, things will never go right for John.

Faker
01-04-2017, 01:19 PM

Nothing like Scooby-Doo.

If I had to compare SU to other shows it'd be a bit of MLP (how MLP isn't afraid to tackle serious issues at times and its overall theme of camaraderie), the unique, thoughtful elements and adventures prevalent in Doctor Who, and the feelsy moments of anything by Studio Ghibli.

If I had to compare the creepiness factor of some episodes to other works it'd be a mix of Courage the Cowardly Dog, Invader Zim, and Akira.

Moonjik
01-04-2017, 01:57 PM
Nothing like Scooby-Doo.

If I had to compare SU to other shows it'd be a bit of MLP (how MLP isn't afraid to tackle serious issues at times and its overall theme of camaraderie), the unique, thoughtful elements and adventures prevalent in Doctor Who, and the feelsy moments of anything by Studio Ghibli.

If I had to compare the creepiness factor of some episodes to other works it'd be a mix of Courage the Cowardly Dog, Invader Zim, and Akira.
I was just joking about the Scooby Doo comparison XD

Faker
01-04-2017, 02:15 PM
I was just joking about the Scooby Doo comparison XD

I didn't know. :c

Moonjik
01-04-2017, 02:17 PM
I didn't know. :c
Aw don't worry about it. I no longer like MLP but I'll give SU a shot.

Faker
01-04-2017, 02:18 PM
Aw don't worry about it. I no longer like MLP but I'll give SU a shot.

I know. :3 I was just using MLP as a comparison point, I still think Steven Universe is hundreds of times better.

Moonjik
01-05-2017, 01:13 PM
You guys do know you can make topics here, right? XD

rangernumberx
01-05-2017, 01:42 PM
You guys do know you can make topics here, right? XD

Nah, that's crazy talk

Moonjik
01-05-2017, 01:49 PM
Nah, that's crazy talk
No seriously! :D maybe you could start your one-shot scene idea

rangernumberx
01-05-2017, 04:08 PM
No seriously! :D maybe you could start your one-shot scene idea

Alright, sure, then. Any ideas for an initial prompt, anybody?

Moonjik
01-05-2017, 05:26 PM
Alright, sure, then. Any ideas for an initial prompt, anybody?
You can use one of your OCs doing something

rangernumberx
01-05-2017, 07:11 PM
You can use one of your OCs doing something

It's posted, so go ahead and write something, if you wish.

Faker
01-05-2017, 07:12 PM

I'm still responding to the prompt. :3

Klonoa
01-05-2017, 10:44 PM

I'd like to try out your prompt as well as Spike.

rangernumberx
01-06-2017, 06:28 AM
LAWL, you need to put a prompt on the end of your scene. Alternatively, Spike/Klo, you can submit your scenes and a prompt. I don't know what to do in this situation, really, never thought it through enough.

LAWLzoR
01-06-2017, 11:55 AM
LAWL, you need to put a prompt on the end of your scene. Alternatively, Spike/Klo, you can submit your scenes and a prompt. I don't know what to do in this situation, really, never thought it through enough.

I was kind of tempted to repeat your prompt because I kinda wanted to give everyone else a chance to reply to your prompt. Nevertheless, I edited my post with a new prompt.

Moonjik
01-06-2017, 01:13 PM
I'll do a prompt after Klo/Spike go :D

BTW that chair story was hilarious LAWL XD

Faker
01-06-2017, 08:29 PM
Moon, your story was so well-written! It really seemed like something out of a novel. You have a great challenge for setting the mood and painting a vivid picture your words. :3

If you guys don't mind, I'd like to answer Moon's prompt. I've been waiting for a chance to develop the backstory on a particular steam-powered drummer and I never got the chance to since Enden got cut short.

I hope you guys are ready to cry. c:

Moonjik
01-07-2017, 02:06 PM
Moon, your story was so well-written! It really seemed like something out of a novel. You have a great challenge for setting the mood and painting a vivid picture your words. :3

If you guys don't mind, I'd like to answer Moon's prompt. I've been waiting for a chance to develop the backstory on a particular steam-powered drummer and I never got the chance to since Enden got cut short.

I hope you guys are ready to cry. c:
Aw thank you ^^ unfortunately I don't get the bonus points for the prompt though :p

rangernumberx
01-08-2017, 06:13 PM
So, Moon, today's episode of Sherlock. I could only think of one thing at the end of it:

What the f**k?

...though to be fair, I was thinking that for a vast majority of the episode.

Moonjik
01-08-2017, 06:15 PM
So, Moon, today's episode of Sherlock. I could only think of one thing at the end of it:

What the f**k?

...though to be fair, I was thinking that for a vast majority of the episode.
I fucking know!

what the hell was even happening half the time? It's never been a straightforward show but damn

Also, did you see your sigs?

rangernumberx
01-08-2017, 06:21 PM
I fucking know!

what the hell was even happening half the time? It's never been a straightforward show but damn

Also, did you see your sigs?

The world through the eyes of a paranoid drug addict and a greater feeling of 'what do you actually know' than the best thrillers can give us. Oh, and despair induced snarky hallucinations of a dead wife. The usual.

And yes, and they look great! But (and this is of absolutely no fault of yours) I would like to go for a character who I haven't already had a set of. I'll keep thinking about who to choose.

Moonjik
01-08-2017, 06:26 PM
This season really has been good so far :D Sherlock is back, baby! We gonna be in for a three year wait again though?

And don't worry about it! I wasn't sure who to put on your sets so I went with some of your old ones but yeah, I wouldn't want a character I've already used either. Once you've thought of one just let me know and I'll make it again ^^

Epic Doctor X
01-15-2017, 07:41 PM
Alright, so I just watched the last episode of Sherlock Season 4.

This episode was excruciating to watch, how dare you do that to me and my feelings. God damn. Also, not a particularly big fan of the ending, it doesn't really match the tone of the rest of the episode, but I guess something like that were to be expected. I'd be very sad if this is indeed the last season since I love the series, but with an ending like that it's anyone's guess I suppose

rangernumberx
01-16-2017, 03:13 AM
Alright, so I just watched the last episode of Sherlock Season 4.

This episode was excruciating to watch, how dare you do that to me and my feelings. God damn. Also, not a particularly big fan of the ending, it doesn't really match the tone of the rest of the episode, but I guess something like that were to be expected. I'd be very sad if this is indeed the last season since I love the series, but with an ending like that it's anyone's guess I suppose

I liked the ending, but that may just be because after 4 seasons, we finally get an [i]actual[i] finale instead of a cliffhanger. I checked, and it's likely that there'll be a season 5 (though it hasn't been given the go-ahead), but in case there isn't there isn't really a better note it could have ended on, in my opinion.

The episode itself...wow. The latter half felt like a cross between Silence of the Lambs and Saw, and the Redbeard twist was amazing. I still don't know how they managed to get out of that grenade explosion unharmed, even after whatever period of time, but there's nothing else that sticks out to me as being bad, breaking my suspension of belief, or anything like that.

Epic Doctor X
01-16-2017, 04:36 AM
I liked the ending, but that may just be because after 4 seasons, we finally get an [i]actual[i] finale instead of a cliffhanger. I checked, and it's likely that there'll be a season 5 (though it hasn't been given the go-ahead), but in case there isn't there isn't really a better note it could have ended on, in my opinion.

The episode itself...wow. The latter half felt like a cross between Silence of the Lambs and Saw, and the Redbeard twist was amazing. I still don't know how they managed to get out of that grenade explosion unharmed, even after whatever period of time, but there's nothing else that sticks out to me as being bad, breaking my suspension of belief, or anything like that.

Yeah, I love the dark and heavy approach to the episode, and the way that it turned into this sort of psychological horror film like you said. As much as I would've loved to see more of an explanation to the grenade explosion, I didn't really think about it after a while.

Moonjik
01-17-2017, 05:53 PM
I've got a test on Thursday. Haven't studied at all for it and I won't have time tomorrow to. How screwed am I?

Klonoa
01-17-2017, 05:57 PM
All depends what it's on. What's the subject?

Moonjik
01-17-2017, 06:22 PM
All depends what it's on. What's the subject?
Religious, moral and philosophical studies

Kubby
01-18-2017, 02:32 AM
Ouch. So not much you can just logic your way out of.
Make yourself a cheat sheet. I'm not saying you should actually use it, but writing down things should accelerate your memorization process.

Klonoa
01-18-2017, 08:55 AM
Okay, yeah. Write them down. Use index cards, or better yet, Quizlet. You'll remember things better with them.

Moonjik
01-18-2017, 11:44 AM
So I did a bit of reading. I've still got tomorrow morning to revise. A lot of it is quite intuitive though so I'm not tooooo worried

Faker
01-18-2017, 04:11 PM
Good luck, GoB! :3

I start classes tomorrow, guys. I'm super hyped. :Onionsan:

Moonjik
01-18-2017, 04:32 PM
I'm happy for you buddy.

Rip me even though it'll prolly be fine

Faker
01-18-2017, 07:29 PM
I hope you were able to make it home safe and sound, Moon. :3

Moonjik
01-19-2017, 12:47 PM
Thanks Glike. Back home now but cheated out of the price of a train fare. Also walking through the streets of Glasgow at ten o'clock at night isn't fun but I wasnae chibbed so thank God.

The test was easy enough. You can bullshit your way through as long as you write down why a certain viewpoint may be held and analyse it. Wasn't a test I was too bothered aboot so yay, freedom.

I put in an intern mod application so hopefully I get selected :3

Now, I've made an update to the Pseudonymphs commandment in lieu of the new group infractions. Please give it a read.

And Ranger, how do you like the signatures? :D

Kubby
01-19-2017, 12:59 PM
Nice to hear the test was of the easier ones.

Moonjik
01-20-2017, 05:12 PM
Anyone doing something fun this weekend?

Epic Doctor X
01-22-2017, 02:09 PM
Nothing too out of the ordinary, but I did play through Uncharted 4, amazing game ^^ What about you?

Moonjik
01-24-2017, 11:28 AM
Had a party on Saturday. Can't remember much of it but apparently I was preaching philosophical bullshit to people and crying into the sofa so yeah

Epic Doctor X
02-01-2017, 06:45 AM
I'm terribly sorry for not being very active atm, 5 months left of last year of school doesn't leave a lot of spare time, but I'm as active as I'm able to be!

Moonjik
02-02-2017, 02:30 PM
Yeah, I haven't been too active this week either. Just a lot of work to get through :(

Faker
02-02-2017, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I haven't been too active this week either. Just a lot of work to get through :(

I know the feeling. :c

Moonjik
02-23-2017, 01:03 PM
So sorry guys I've been super busy again this wee ;-; school and college mean I don't have that much time to forum outside of weekends, especially because assignments and such. Made my final choice for uni a couple of days ago so I'm excited to report that!

Turtlesauce
02-23-2017, 04:03 PM
So sorry guys I've been super busy again this wee ;-; school and college mean I don't have that much time to forum outside of weekends, especially because assignments and such. Made my final choice for uni a couple of days ago so I'm excited to report that!

How's internship coming along?

Moonjik
02-23-2017, 04:30 PM
How's internship coming along?
I haven't yet found anything that needs to be sorted XD

Brad
02-23-2017, 04:33 PM
Honestly there is not as much spambots or infractions as there used to be on this site, which is a good thing.

Moonjik
02-23-2017, 04:35 PM
Honestly there is not as much spambots or infractions as there used to be on this site, which is a good thing.
I agree! It's actually a positive that there's not much to moderate

Klonoa
03-14-2017, 05:22 PM
To the three here who are intern mods... there's not much to do, huh? Is there something you hope to accomplish during the trial period?

Brad
03-15-2017, 12:25 AM
To the three here who are intern mods... there's not much to do, huh? Is there something you hope to accomplish during the trial period?
Well yeah it's just not at the forefront of the forums, it's mostly smaller ideas and discussions we have been having the past few weeks in mod tower. This ship runs itself baby we just wanna put decals on the sails.

Klonoa
03-15-2017, 05:08 PM
Hey, if anyone cares, Help Me Again is finally done! I was tired of it being dead since a majority of the original cast said "nah we don't care anymore" so I finished it myself. Got it done in one sitting and broke the character limit. I'm happy with it now.

Brad
03-15-2017, 05:09 PM
Hey, if anyone cares, Help Me Again is finally done! I was tired of it being dead since a majority of the original cast said "nah we don't care anymore" so I finished it myself. Got it done in one sitting and broke the character limit. I'm happy with it now. Uhh stupid question but I'm a bit overwhelmed with stuff rn, can you tell me what Help Me is I seemed to have forgot or never known

Klonoa
03-15-2017, 05:11 PM
Uhh stupid question but I'm a bit overwhelmed with stuff rn, can you tell me what Help Me is I seemed to have forgot or never known

Nope it was before you came back. It's kinda of a choose your own adventure game with my OC, Cryonic. I recommend reading through Help Me: Cryonic (without the Again, since it's the sequel) in Forum Games. Somewhere back there, anyway.

Moonjik
03-15-2017, 06:11 PM
I'm sorry that I haven't been on as much as I should be guys. It's a race against life atm and it's catching up with me :( I've got so much to do - so many assignments, so many projects...I'm tired