PDA

View Full Version : Music Thread

Janet
01-04-2017, 05:41 PM
Since most of us talk about music so much outside of the forum, this can be our thread to talk about what we're listening to currently.

I personally am planning on getting into Tool this month. I haven't listened to any full albums, but I've listened to some songs, and I like what I've heard.

What bout ya'll

Mike Hat
01-04-2017, 05:49 PM
I got a new laptop, so listening to music should be easier now. I've got a long list of people I'd like to check out soon, including Elliott Smith, Danny Brown, Daft Punk, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Frank Ocean, and Fiona Apple.

Also David Bowie - Blackstar is a great album. I listened to it recently and I wasn't expecting to be so blown away by it.

Janet
01-04-2017, 05:50 PM
I got a new laptop, so listening to music should be easier now. I've got a long list of people I'd like to check out soon, including Elliott Smith, Danny Brown, Daft Punk, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Frank Ocean, and Fiona Apple.

Also David Bowie - Blackstar is a great album. I listened to it recently and I wasn't expecting to be so blown away by it.

Elliott Smith should be at the top of that list imo. He's my favorite solo artist ever.

also I agree

Lohuydahutt
01-04-2017, 06:44 PM
I've been listening to a decent amount of new stuff thanks to the significant amount of iTunes gift card money I got this year. So far I've added Knife Man by Andrew Jackson Jihad, Strawberry Jam by Animal Collective, Skeleton Tree by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, and Not a Pretty Girl by Ani DiFranco to my collection and I'm certainly looking for more stuff to add. Of the ones I recently obtained I'd probably say that Not a Pretty Girl is the best one. But hey, I could easily warm up to rest of those. Especially considering how Animal Collective isn't exactly the epitome of bands that sound good on first listen.

Also, I'd also put Elliot Smith on the top of that list but I admittedly haven't listened to all of the ones you listed. I'm personally having an internal debate on who I like better between Sufjan Stevens and Elliot Smith, which basically just boils down to sound vs lyrics tbh. Though Elliot Smith admittedly has considerably less completely skippable albums in his discography.

Janet
01-04-2017, 06:47 PM
I've been listening to a decent amount of new stuff thanks to the significant amount of iTunes gift card money I got this year. So far I've added Knife Man by Andrew Jackson Jihad, Strawberry Jam by Animal Collective, Skeleton Tree by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, and Not a Pretty Girl by Ani DiFranco to my collection and I'm certainly looking for more stuff to add. Of the ones I recently obtained I'd probably say that Not a Pretty Girl is the best one. But hey, I could easily warm up to rest of those. Especially considering how Animal Collective isn't exactly the epitome of bands that sound good on first listen.

Also, I'd also put Elliot Smith on the top of that list but I admittedly haven't listened to all of the ones you listed. I'm personally having an internal debate on who I like better between Sufjan Stevens and Elliot Smith, which basically just boils down to sound vs lyrics tbh. Though Elliot Smith admittedly has considerably less completely skippable albums in his discography.

I'll try to keep that Ani DiFranco album in mind

wait who do you like more with sound/lyrics

Lohuydahutt
01-04-2017, 06:50 PM
I'll try to keep that Ani DiFranco album in mind

wait who do you like more with sound/lyrics

Sufjan for sound, Elliot for lyrics. I thought that would be kind of obvious but that was prob presumptuous of me.

Janet
01-04-2017, 06:53 PM
Sufjan for sound, Elliot for lyrics. I thought that would be kind of obvious but that was prob presumptuous of me.

I guessed that but I wanted to make sure yo

Lohuydahutt
01-06-2017, 10:56 PM
Well, looks like a new week is approaching, any of you guys have any albums I should check out?

Janet
01-06-2017, 10:58 PM
Well, looks like a new week is approaching, any of you guys have any albums I should check out?

The Glow Pt 2

Mike Hat
01-06-2017, 11:02 PM
You should listen to Man It Feels Like Space Again by Pond and tell me what you think

Some former member of Tame Impala is the driving force behind it or something

Janet
01-07-2017, 12:28 AM
You should listen to Man It Feels Like Space Again by Pond and tell me what you think

Some former member of Tame Impala is the driving force behind it or something

sounds interestin

Uprising
01-07-2017, 08:59 PM
I listened to the full new Avenged Sevenfold album pretty recently and thought it was spectacular. I don't think my music tastes are going to line up with the rest of yours all that much though. Mostly rock/metal/alternative/grunge/etc.

Janet
01-07-2017, 09:04 PM
I listened to the full new Avenged Sevenfold album pretty recently and thought it was spectacular. I don't think my music tastes are going to line up with the rest of yours all that much though. Mostly rock/metal/alternative/grunge/etc.

Yeah we're huge hipsters D:

Mike Hat
01-07-2017, 10:14 PM

What kind of metal do you normally listen to? I've been getting super into Tool and Rage Against the Machine lately so some other recommendations there would be neat.

Uprising
01-08-2017, 11:47 AM
What kind of metal do you normally listen to? I've been getting super into Tool and Rage Against the Machine lately so some other recommendations there would be neat.

The top bands that I typically listen to that are somewhat metal related are Alice in Chains, Metallica, Nine Inch Nails and Disturbed. Almost everything from those bands is quality stuff and you can't go wrong with most of it.

Mike Hat
01-08-2017, 12:20 PM
The top bands that I typically listen to that are somewhat metal related are Alice in Chains, Metallica, Nine Inch Nails and Disturbed. Almost everything from those bands is quality stuff and you can't go wrong with most of it.

I'll keep those in mind. Definitely like most of the Metallica stuff I've heard and been meaning to check out Nine Inch Nails for a while now.

Janet
01-08-2017, 01:41 PM
I haven't checked out NIN too much but I like the Downward Spiral album a lot

Lawliet
01-08-2017, 10:19 PM
I jam to a lot of different things. Deltron 3030, Gorillaz, Foals, alt j, Rebecca Sugar, and electro swing are all in my current library

Lohuydahutt
01-08-2017, 10:22 PM
I jam to a lot of different things. Deltron 3030, Gorillaz, Foals, alt j, Rebecca Sugar, and electro swing are all in my current library

The only one of those I currently listen to is Gorillaz, but those other ones sound like something I might like. What would you say your favorite album from either of those other artists is?

Janet
01-08-2017, 10:23 PM
Love me some Gorillaz

Mike Hat
01-08-2017, 11:09 PM

I love Gorillaz like the rest of the people here, Demon Days is such a good album. Love El Manana right now. Also enjoy the Foals I've listened to. Rebecca Sugar is the one who made Steven Universe right? I love that theme song.

Lawliet
01-08-2017, 11:24 PM
The only one of those I currently listen to is Gorillaz, but those other ones sound like something I might like. What would you say your favorite album from either of those other artists is?

Deltron is the rapper for gorillaz, but his most recent album is the best. It's the one with countdown.
Foals best is total life forever due to spanish sahara
Alt J's best work is left hand free, something good, or breezeblocks
Rebecca sugar is the music person for steven universe and some of adventure time.
Goldfish and caravan palace are the best electroswing

Lohuydahutt
01-08-2017, 11:42 PM
Deltron is the rapper for gorillaz, but his most recent album is the best. It's the one with countdown.
Foals best is total life forever due to spanish sahara
Alt J's best work is left hand free, something good, or breezeblocks
Rebecca sugar is the music person for steven universe and some of adventure time.
Goldfish and caravan palace are the best electroswing

Alright, thanks. I'll probably try out at least a few of those soon.

Lawliet
01-10-2017, 12:27 AM
Yo dudes how do i link youtube videos here?

Janet
01-10-2017, 12:44 AM
Yo dudes how do i link youtube videos here?

use the youtube tag and only the part after v=
so like for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mbGUld2w-s it'd be 0mbGUld2w-s
then put that in the tag

Lawliet
01-10-2017, 12:51 AM
KnrGMHhnqrw

like this?

Lohuydahutt
01-10-2017, 12:55 AM
v=KnrGMHhnqrw

like this?

close. Get rid of the v= part and you should be good.

Lawliet
01-10-2017, 01:23 AM
fixed it!

Lohuydahutt
01-11-2017, 12:39 AM
KnrGMHhnqrw

like this?

Oh hey, this is good.

Uprising
01-11-2017, 12:53 AM
r2bL7DU21Wg

Off the newest NIN EP. Good stuff.

Lawliet
01-14-2017, 12:37 AM
-jMruFHTwrY

song recommendation of the day

plus brie larson is adorable

Janet
01-14-2017, 12:46 AM
-jMruFHTwrY

song recommendation of the day

plus brie larson is adorable
Hey I like that one
I've listened to plenty of songs from that movie but I haven't actually watched it rip

Lawliet
01-14-2017, 12:54 AM
Hey I like that one
I've listened to plenty of songs from that movie but I haven't actually watched it rip

i can stream it over rabbit if you like? its one of my favorites

Lohuydahutt
01-14-2017, 01:19 AM
I wil concur, Scott Pilgrim was a damn good movie. Granted, I never read the source material and I hear it's not so universally loved by that crowd, but still.

Lawliet
01-14-2017, 01:25 AM
I wil concur, Scott Pilgrim was a damn good movie. Granted, I never read the source material and I hear it's not so universally loved by that crowd, but still.

the comics are godly compared to the movie. Ramona gets character in it.

back on topic, how would you guys like to put together a Deep Freezer playlist?

Lohuydahutt
01-14-2017, 01:41 AM
the comics are godly compared to the movie. Ramona gets character in it.

back on topic, how would you guys like to put together a Deep Freezer playlist?

Oh that sounds like a good idea, not quite sure how to go about that though. Probably something along the lines of dedicating a thread to it and just letting everybody suggest songs for it.

Lawliet
01-14-2017, 07:37 PM
PcAFys5zW5c

music recommendation for today

Rebecca sugar is dope. Met her IRL at a con and she was super dorky and adorable.
adorkable

Lohuydahutt
01-15-2017, 12:11 AM
i can stream it over rabbit if you like? its one of my favorites

side note: just to point this out, I was not aware rabbit was a thing that existed until you posted this. Now I am aware that it's a thing that exists. I am quite grateful for that :3

Lawliet
01-16-2017, 01:22 AM
H7Gr6HBMDu0

song of the day

Lohuydahutt
01-24-2017, 04:45 PM
I recently bought To Be Kind by Swans, and so far I'm liking it. Probably going to end up being one of my fav ungodly long albums. Also Screen Shot is addicting as fuck.

x8fG79rn9m4

Janet
02-07-2017, 03:07 PM
I got Have One on Me and Divers by Joanna Newsom from my brother for my bday yay. I haven't gotten to listen to them yet though.

Lohuydahutt
02-20-2017, 05:47 PM
So last week I bought like 5 albums but I don't really feel like getting anything so far this week rip. Rumours by Fleetwood Mac is prob my favorite of those 5 I got btw.

Janet
02-20-2017, 06:09 PM
Atrocity Exhibition's pretty awesome

BobbyBobber
02-20-2017, 11:12 PM
Atrocity Exhibition's pretty awesome

AE is amazingggg (prolly my most listened to album of 2016), I saw Danny Brown in concert a few months ago and it was just as insane as you'd imagine.

I just listened to most of Sun Kil Moon's new album (its like 2 hours so I havent had time to finish it). So far its fascinating.
And currently I'm bumping Sampha's new album, Process, I love it, it's groovy as f-word.

Janet
02-20-2017, 11:13 PM
AE is amazingggg (prolly my most listened to album of 2016), I saw Danny Brown in concert a few months ago and it was just as insane as you'd imagine.

I just listened to most of Sun Kil Moon's new album (its like 2 hours so I havent had time to finish it). So far its fascinating.
And currently I'm bumping Sampha's new album, Process, I love it, it's groovy as f-word.

Oh hey I listened to all of Sun Kil Moon's album just a bit ago

Mike Hat
02-20-2017, 11:19 PM
Poles encouraged me to listen to Atrocity Exhibition and it's really good. That, A Moon Shaped Pool, and Blackstar are my three favorite albums of 2016 I think. On first impression Ain't it Funny is my favorite track but I'll have to relisten to determine fully.

Pretty hyped about new Fleet Foxes, Gorillaz, and Father John Misty this year. Any other albums anyone's anticipating this year?

Lohuydahutt
02-20-2017, 11:20 PM
Grizzly Bear's new album prob, can't think of anything else at the moment rip

BobbyBobber
02-20-2017, 11:21 PM
I can barely hold in my excitement for this new Father John tape to drop. Two Wildly and Dying Man are soooo damn great. Pure Comedy was good too, I love it instrumentally but lyrically (even though there are some gems) I thought it was a wee bit too pretentious. Either way I'm sure the album will be amazing,

Janet
02-20-2017, 11:23 PM
Poles encouraged me to listen to Atrocity Exhibition and it's really good. That, A Moon Shaped Pool, and Blackstar are my three favorite albums of 2016 I think. On first impression Ain't it Funny is my favorite track but I'll have to relisten to determine fully.

Pretty hyped about new Fleet Foxes, Gorillaz, and Father John Misty this year. Any other albums anyone's anticipating this year?

Those, Grizzly Bear, Beck, maybe more I'm forgetting

Hound
02-21-2017, 09:26 AM
I really like 21 Pilots tp

BobbyBobber
02-21-2017, 10:44 PM
I really like 21 Pilots tp

http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/08/GIF--fake-happy-smile-GIF.gif?gs=a

Janet
02-26-2017, 08:23 PM
Looking to get into some new artists next month so if ya'll got any recommendations that'd be cool

BobbyBobber
03-01-2017, 12:53 PM
Looking to get into some new artists next month so if ya'll got any recommendations that'd be cool

Try Thundercat, he just dropped. He does like a funky type of jazz with some hip hop influence. I havent heard the album yet but Im sure its good.

Mike Hat
03-02-2017, 12:25 AM
Try Thundercat, he just dropped. He does like a funky type of jazz with some hip hop influence. I havent heard the album yet but Im sure its good.

Thundercat did some stuff for To Pimp A Butterfly right? I feel like I saw his name on a couple tracks. Might check that out.

BobbyBobber
03-03-2017, 07:55 PM
Thundercat did some stuff for To Pimp A Butterfly right? I feel like I saw his name on a couple tracks. Might check that out.

Yes sir

---

NOW PLAYING: The new King Gizzard record, Flying Microtonal Banana
Their last record, Nonagon Infinity was of my favorites of that year

Janet
03-13-2017, 09:57 PM
Some other stuff I'm excited for this year:
A Crow Looked at Me by Mount Eerie is coming out 3/24/17. I was a huge fan of The Glow Pt. 2, so checking out more of Phil Elverum's stuff has been something I've been considering for a while. This'll probably be an heartbreaking album since it'll follow the death of his wife to cancer last year.
This Old Dog by Mac Demarco was one I forgot to mention last time. I'm not the biggest Demarco fan in the world, but his music tends to be enjoyable.
Triplicate by Bob Dylan is one I can see myself checking out. It's just going to be a huge collection of covers that I'll enjoy more than I should because Dylan bias.
Arcade Fire is releasing something this year. Haven't checked out much by them besides Funeral.
and uh that's all that comes to mind but that's probably not all I'll check out

Mike Hat
03-14-2017, 11:10 AM
Listened to Thundercat - Drunk this morning. Very smooth and pleasant I would say, very entertaining music. I'd definitely recommend listening to at least a couple tracks.

BobbyBobber
06-02-2017, 11:00 PM
Listened to Thundercat - Drunk this morning. Very smooth and pleasant I would say, very entertaining music. I'd definitely recommend listening to at least a couple tracks.

I thought Drunk was kinda disappointing tbh.

In other news, Im going to Newport Jazz Fest next month! The Roots are preforming.