PDA

View Full Version : Movie Review Thread

Hound
01-08-2017, 05:19 PM
When you watch a movie just post your reveiw of it here. Uhh Yea. But write it like this

EXAMPLE:
Star Wars: Rouge One
8/10
It was pretty dank

Janet
01-08-2017, 05:20 PM
Interesting idea seems quick enough
I wonder who'll do this
I guess I will once I see a movie

Lohuydahutt
01-14-2017, 10:36 PM
I'll bite.

I watched Hidden Figures two days ago.

7/10, great message, surely inspirational for some. However, as a standalone movie I did not really like how it was written. It felt like every other piece of dialogue was trying to make some super meaningful statement that everything just sounded unnatural.

EDIT: anddddddd I watched Moonlight today.

9/10, the movie just flew right by in spite of the not particularly exciting premise of it. It's kind of similar to Hidden Figures in the sense that it highlights the kind of person that normally gets ignored/marginalized but it actually does so with natural sounding dialogue. Much more insightful that way tbh.

Hound
02-21-2017, 02:45 PM
Since i'm on my February vaction from school i have been watching a lot of movies from my Netflix list here are the revews

Boyhood 6/10
It was enjoyible but something crazy would happen then they would never go back to that and fast foward 3 yrs.

Countdown 4/10
The only good thing is that dolph did the superkick to somebody.

Kung Fu Panda 3 5/10
Gorgeous partsb during the movie especially the start and the end villan was actually great.

True Memoris Of an internatiol Agent *Netflix Original 7/10

Really liked it great action kevin james can actually do some action scenes some parts a got lost at but yea

Janet
02-21-2017, 05:46 PM
Lego Batman Movie is everything I've ever needed and more 9.5/10

Mike Hat
02-21-2017, 06:40 PM
La La Land: 9/10

It's not the most original, groundbreaking movie, but damn if it doesn't do a good job with what it does. There hasn't been a high profile musical movie since, what, Chicago? La La Land fills that gap and does a tremendous job. Gosling and Stone have amazing chemistry, and they actually sing a lot better than I thought they would. They're a great couple, with very different aspirations that serve as a great way to drive their relationship forward. It's a very well made movie - great sound design, great casting, great script, great pacing - and that more than makes up for its unoriginality.

Split: 6/10

An actually thrilling movie from M Night Shaymalan. I think I wanted to like this movie more than I did, but it was still reasonably good. James McAvoy really makes this movie what it is. He does a very good job coming across as unhinged and damaged. The other major actors aren't terrible by any means, but they aren't exactly memorable either. The plot was decently suspenseful if a little by the numbers insofar as "people kidnapped by a psychopath" plots go. The little "wink wink nudge nudge" part at the end of the movie was actually pretty cool; my only complaint with that is that people who haven't seen the movie it's referencing won't get the twist. Other than that, it's pretty decent all around. Pretty entertaining for a suspense movie if you're a big fan and you want to see them all, but I'm not sure if I can say I really recommend it fully, necessarily.

Lohuydahutt
02-21-2017, 10:30 PM
So I just watched La La Land. I don't really disagree with anything Sanic said but as a pure enjoyment rating I'd say more like an 8/10. Didn't really do anything wrong in particular but I've never been huge on musicals to begin with rip. The ending was beautiful though.

Hound
02-21-2017, 10:49 PM
The Lego Batman Movie
10/10
It was fucking fantastic i went in with low expectations and it blew me away lol i love this movie so funny there was an awesome MARVEL joke loved it there are so many weird characters in the film witch is great and great refrences Best joker since Heath Ledger seriously only gripe about it is that the flash Wasnt In the movie a lot and orca anyways GO WATCH IT.

Janet
03-04-2017, 10:15 PM
Fateful Findings 2/10 but enjoyable

Lohuydahutt
03-04-2017, 10:28 PM
Welp, just saw Get Out, my first movie of 2017 that's actually like, from 2017 kek. And... yeah that was a great fucking film. If you treat it purely as a horror movie, it was sort of typical in its general set up of "slowly getting creepier and creepier until we get a really crazy climax." However, it was much more than a standard horror movie. The premise is pretty fucking unique for a horror film (I think so any way, maybe someone could pull some shit out from the 1980s that proves me wrong but I don't know about it). And the execution was just so fucking good. It was just genuinely unsettling, and I especially liked how the creepiness felt like stuff that could actually happen (at the beginning any way). Lots of nice subtle details, great acting, and just a genuinely intelligent story in spite of that probably not being commonplace in its genre(s). So yeah, I'd be surprised if I ended up liking another movie more than this this year, but who knowssssssssss.

9.5/10

Mike Hat
03-05-2017, 12:08 AM
The Lego Batman Movie: I'm a little bit uncertain what to rank it here. If I'm keeping to one solid number, I think I'll go with 7/10. (A pretty high 7 tbf, but still a 7). Definitely I didn't like it as much as the first Lego Movie, which remains one of my favorite modern animated movies. The humor was certainly there, and the "awesome factor" of having all of these other villains come in connected adequately and was set up pretty well. I think, looking back on it, my biggest problem with the movie was that it was just too meta? I'm all for some meta humor but I feel like Lego Batman focused a little too much on it. There were some great gags that came out of it (Condiment Man is the first example that comes to mind) but sometimes it feels like the movie gets derailed to focus on some Batman mythos thing. This problem is worsened when the other villains come in; my brother (he's 12, for the record, so right about the top of the age group this movie focuses on) was very confused by the other villains Joker recruited from the Phantom Zone, and while most of them don't really play a massive role or anything and are just there to raise the stakes, I feel like they should've explained who they were a little better.

The story was weaker than the Lego Movie as well; it's a very good excuse to basically just cause havoc all across Gotham City, but it kind of lost focus a couple times. The Lego Movie had a much stronger plot, and while both movies have a lot of abrupt transitions, the Lego Movie still pretty well has a central plot, while Lego Batman diverges a bit. I still really liked the movie; I laughed a lot at the jokes, the animation is outstanding, and the moral is very well done and manages to increase the tension instead of being anvillicious like many animated movies. But after the (admittedly pretty high) expectations Lego Movie set, I couldn't help but feel this was a bit of a step down.

Logan: Now for a much different superhero movie. I give this one 9/10. I was a little apprehensive about this one given I wasn't all that huge on Deadpool (unpopular opinion, I know) and X-Men Apocalypse was very poorly done but man this movie delivered. First off, I'll do a short non-spoiler portion and then a bigger spoiler portion afterwards. The actors all put in a great performance, especially Jackman and Stewart who really drive this movie. The path they went with these characters is phenomenal. Logan is a character you can sympathize with and see where he's coming from, but you also think he's a complete a**hole half the time. Professor X is a very interesting character; just the idea of the most powerful mind on Earth becoming a victim of his own mind is so tragically sad. The action scenes rely a bit much on shaky cam, but they aren't afraid to get very gory (sometimes a little gratuitous, but it never really crosses the line to becoming ridiculous really). The plot is so well-done and paced, with humor used sparingly and often more to build tension than just for the sake of comedy. And man, props to the makeup department. You can just tell how done everyone is with everything that's happened by the end of the movie, because it shows just by their makeup and costumes.

The whole movie is basically about Logan accepting death and passing the torch to Laura, aka X-23. Logan has always been something of an antihero, but he gets incredibly, shockingly mean at some points in this movie. I think it makes his ultimate sacrifice all the more meaningful, though; he has no obligation to these kids, he actively wants to die, yet he comes to their rescue anyhow and finally achieves a meaningful death. Throughout the whole movie, Jackman does a fantastic job of portraying a version of Wolverine who is at the end of his rope and has nothing left to live for except caring for Professor X and, eventually, Laura. The R rating helps this movie a LOT, because I don't think everything would carry as much impact if you didn't see just how insanely battered everyone is.

The villains aren't like, redefining the genre, but they make for an intimidating trio nonetheless, and they had a lot of presence on the screen - especially Donald, who was just the right amount of "love to hate him" for this movie. If I have one major complaint, Laura feels like a bit of a Mary Sue to me. It's not a terrible problem but she's a vicious killer, she makes Logan experience love, and she knows all these things like, most egregiously, how to drive. Oh and it feels a little lame that they just had Wolverine killed by a clone of Wolverine (I would've probably had it to where one of the two other villains manages to shoot him with the bullet before being overpowered by the kids) but his death scene makes up for it. Other than that, I am very satisfied. This is a very, very different breed of superhero movies, and I think Fox has carved out a great niche of being the only superhero studio willing to make R rated films.

So I recommend Lego Batman to anyone who likes meta humor more than I do and is big on Batman or Legos or whatever else, and I pretty much recommend Logan to everyone unless they don't like super gritty movies or R rated things for some reason.

Janet
03-11-2017, 10:13 PM
Moonlight 9.5/10
Manchester by the Sea 9/10

Lohuydahutt
03-11-2017, 10:16 PM
Welp, just watched Logan

Probably the best X-Men movie I've seen and probably in the top 5 superhero movies I've seen overall, but admittedly I'm not a huge superhero movie fan to begin with. This movie was quite gory, but frankly this feels like what Wolverine's movies should have been like all along. Wolverine is a brutal character, and this kind of movie captures that very well. Well acted, had some nice touching scenes, Hugh Jackman was at his finest. But on the flip side, the villains weren't particularly interesting whatsoever, and I didn't particularly care for the kid not-Wolverine either. Overall I'd give it an 8.5.

Hound
03-25-2017, 12:35 PM
Where the Wild Things are

6/10
Still scary from when the first time i watched it

Hound
04-07-2017, 07:17 PM
Moana

8/10

Actually really good movie songs were great to coolest part was with the giant crab and Godzilla...

--------------------------------------------------

Sing
6/10
Suprisingly good harambe was cool in the movie i liked how the snake looked lol

Hound
05-06-2017, 10:37 AM
Gaurdians Of The Galaxy Vol 2
9/10
I really enjoyed it very very funny i loved mantis drax was great and gamora was a Mom To Groot And It was Cute Lol Peter Was Amazing loved his Character Even More nebula was pretty good and yondo was cool also rocket was very good