PDA

View Full Version : Babe Ruth vs. Lance Arm$trong - Ca$hman Review

I Da Cash Man
03-25-2013, 01:01 PM
The first epic rap battle involving actual sports....HELP, I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!

The Beat - (The clean instrumental is not out yet to my knowledge. Therefore call this section tentative.) So typically there are three things that make an Epic Rap Battle beat. 1.) Relevance 2.) Instruments 3.) Flow. The latter is probably the best. It repeats enough to become iconic but changes enough to be refreshing. It gradually grows towards the climax, but also is separated into chunks and the intensity of these chunks is very noticeable. Not to mention being separated into chunks probably helps with making a rap battle. The middle is good but not great. Don't get me wrong, I like me some orchestral style music. But the...what is it, a violin (I know sh*t about the inner workings of music)...feels slightly forced. Sometimes it really synchs with the song but sometimes it feels like it doesn't belong. But it is the backbone of this beat is the violin because the rest is really, really generic. Bottom line, it kinda feels like it was made by a guy who had access to generic software but knows how to manipulate the audience to make it seem better than it actually is. As for the first criteria, I don't know. I can't see any relevance to sports. I mean...it sounds kinda like something the NFL would use, and it wouldn't be impossible to see something like it used in the Olympics...but it's not giving me that sporty feeling. I don't know, HELP ME OUT GUYS I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! 7/10 (Weighted for 25%).

Announcer - I've been waiting for Nice-Peter to bring something new to the announcer's table. It might have been an accident, actually. But the announcer now sends less like he's trying to be above the rappers as this "chairman announcer" character and more like a humble referee, who knows he's officiating two huge athletes but is still in charge. The punctuation is strong but it doesn't interrupt the flow, which is made to be the priority. The flow and the elongation will probably be the thing that most audience members actually remember. 9/10 (Weighted for 5%)

Costumes - Lance Armstrong - Nice-Peter doesn't look like Lance Armstrong. Now, granted, he does look better than Lance Armstrong, but that's not what we're talking about. He kept his face completely untouched. as far as the face goes, I think Lloyd actually looks more like Lance than Peter does. But I understand if Peter was the best you could have got, even if he doesn't have the nose, eyes, chin, anything more of circumstance than of creation. But he didn't even get the hair right. And it looks like he cut his hair for the sake of doing Lance??!?!? Somebody help me?!?! Regardless, at least his blazer is sick and the biker's outfit couldn't be better. Partially because it's not hard to replicate that. 6/10 (Weighted for 5%)

Costumes - Babe Ruth - Well, again, the clothes are pretty much perfect. But it's not hard to get stuff like this. Anybody from a professional movie studio to a 10 year old dressing up for Halloween could get a very well made Babe Ruth costume. It's just baseball clothes. As for his figure, it seems as if they creatively stuffed Lloyd's costume and that part is well done. It gives the feeling of Ruth in that respect. But his face, again, not much like Babe. It's not like there wasn't stuff they couldn't have done. You could've easily made his eyebrows less noticeable with makeup. Same with the nose to a lesser extent. I also feel like maybe they should've darkened the skin tone slightly but it's close enough, whatever. Overall, it's the better costume in the battle. 7/10 (Weighted for 5%)

Imitations - That's Peter's voice. I mean, I like Peter's voice, but it's not even edited to sound like Armstrong, let alone Mr. Alexis attempting to work his own voice around Armstrong. I'll give it a bonus 3/10 (Weighted for 5%) for intensity. As for Babe Ruth, sometimes he gets really close, I mean to any extent that Lloyd and computers could. There aren't a ton of people out there who can perfectly replicate Babe. But sometimes when Lloyd is getting more intense and more energetic he starts to lose it and it just starts to sound like a bit of a mess. I give that one a 6.8/10 (Weighted for 5%)

Round One - Mellow Johnny - That was badass. Peter's flow is awesome. I absolutely loved the Oprah joke. The last line of the round was also awesome. He just basically came in first and aimed to put down Ruth before he even got a shot to spit. The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is Peter's stripping. Uuuuuugh....Yeah, but no, I don't think there wasn't a line in this round that wasn't great. 9/10 (Weighted for 12.5%)

Round Two - The Bambino - I'm liking this round too. The Olsen Twin and "too tight in the crotch" lines were real good. But some of the lines about the Tour De France or a Menstrual Cyclist, I mean they had their foundation but they felt a little cheap. Lloyd's voice, while the better imitation, gets in the way of the flow. But overall it's a good round, it's the veteran coming back and saying "If you think I'm giong down that fast you gottanother thing coming." 7.5/10 (Weighted for 12.5%)

Round Three - The Texan in a Bathing Suit - Oh yeah. That's badass. That's like Lance coming back and yelling "is this old dude really trying to fight me?" The first diss might have been the best, no chance in Hell Babe could refute that. And this round is the best flow of the whole battle. I also love the line where he questions "imagine what you could've done if you actually trained!" It kinda sucks that the clear villain is also clearly winning at this point. 9/10. (Weighted for 12.5%)

Round Four - The Sultan of Swat - That was impressive. It quickly but noticeably builds to basically establish that Babe Ruth is somewhat invincible. I love the "Baby Ruth" line, if the first line of round three isn't the best line of this battle than "Baby Ruth" would be it. What he did with the baseball swing was awesome, though maybe the timing could've been worked on slightly. The only problem is that...it goes on for too long. That last chunk of the round felt pretty much unnecessary, except for the last line which I guess had to go in somewhere. Overall, it should be the round of the battle and probably will be remembered as such, but judging it fairly it has too many problems to win Ruth the battle. 8/10 (Weighted for 12.5%)

Final Results:

Lance Edward Gunnerson: 18/20
George Herman Ruth Jr.: 15.5/20

Overall Score: 75.275/100

Umbreon
03-25-2013, 07:55 PM
Nice review, as always!

Lohuydahutt
03-25-2013, 08:05 PM
I don't always agree with your verdict and this is no exception but still good review :P

I Da Cash Man
03-26-2013, 06:38 PM
Nice review, as always!

Thank ye Umbreon :).

I don't always agree with your verdict and this is no exception but still good review :P

Thanks a ton. I would like to hear what you didn't agree with, healthy argument is something I love.

Lohuydahutt
03-26-2013, 06:46 PM
Nice review, as always!

Thanks a ton. I would like to hear what you didn't agree with, healthy argument is something I love.
I don't disagree with your Lance Armstrong verdict too much if you saw mine I gave Lance Armstrong 8.5 for both. But if calling Lance Armstrong a menstrual cyclist is a cheap move then "2nd fat lady" is even cheaper :P More... Later...

I Da Cash Man
03-26-2013, 06:53 PM
Nice review, as always!

I don't disagree with your Lance Armstrong verdict too much if you saw mine I gave Lance Armstrong 8.5 for both. But if calling Lance Armstrong a menstrual cyclist is a cheap move then "2nd fat lady" is even cheaper :P More... Later...

...Sh*t....whoops. I guess that is kind of a contradiction, ain't it?

Although I figure 2nd fat lady is less cheap since it's both referring to Oprah and Ruth, a figure Lance has been involved with int he past and the figure he's rapping.

WWEFan
03-26-2013, 06:57 PM
(The clean instrumental is not out yet to my knowledge. Therefore call this section tentative.)
FALSE STATEMENT. :p

Lohuydahutt
03-26-2013, 06:57 PM
[quote=UmbreonOfTheDarkness]Nice review, as always!

Although I figure 2nd fat lady is less cheap since it's both referring to Oprah and Ruth, a figure Lance has been involved with int he past and the figure he's rapping.[/quote:13ngeic3]
Well it was nice reference but it could've been more creative because the only thing in that line that disses Ruth is calling him a "fat lady" doesn't make it a bad line but menstrual cyclist to me is clever because there's a menstrual cycle and then there's a menstrual cyclist... I personally think it's a pretty clever line.

I Da Cash Man
03-26-2013, 10:48 PM
(The clean instrumental is not out yet to my knowledge. Therefore call this section tentative.)
FALSE STATEMENT. :p

As of me posting the review ;).

[quote=UmbreonOfTheDarkness]Nice review, as always!

Although I figure 2nd fat lady is less cheap since it's both referring to Oprah and Ruth, a figure Lance has been involved with int he past and the figure he's rapping.
Well it was nice reference but it could've been more creative because the only thing in that line that disses Ruth is calling him a "fat lady" doesn't make it a bad line but menstrual cyclist to me is clever because there's a menstrual cycle and then there's a menstrual cyclist... I personally think it's a pretty clever line.[/quote:2eko790u]

We'll agree to disagree, your argument is as rational as mine if not more so

Moonjik
03-27-2013, 01:59 PM
W00T! Awesome review, I agree with almost everything.

I Da Cash Man
03-28-2013, 12:01 PM
W00T! Awesome review, I agree with almost everything.

That's awesome! Thank you!

Umbreon
03-28-2013, 07:08 PM
What ERB do you plan on doing next?

I Da Cash Man
03-29-2013, 09:00 PM
What ERB do you plan on doing next?

Most likely the next one they do ;). The next review aside from that I'd do next...probably Freddie Mercury vs. Frank Sinatra or Batman vs. Sherlock Holmes. I dunno.