LAWLzoR

I'm back!

Rate this Entry
Hey guys! Haven't seen you in a week. While on my vacation, I figured I'd surprise you guys with an actual post, not one of those critical thinking stories. So, while I was on vacation I was watching one of those crime shows and in an episode at the end, the suspect said that he did a crime (several arson murders… by several I mean the victim count is in the teens) out of love. The suspect was in love with his sister and when they were teens everyone in the small town they lived in started believing rumors that they were doing rather frisky things, like kissing and whatnot. The reason why he was in love with his sister isn't what's important and not worth getting into. My point is, what would someone do for love? First, we'll start with a recognizable question in a certain song: What is love?

Before you reply with "baby don't hurt me" allow me to go further into this. We all know that love or the feeling thereof gives off dopamine and other chemicals that make the host (i.e. you) feel happy. This release of chemicals is the body's way of rewarding you. For example when you solve a problem, eat, and of course have sexual intercourse. So, why is your body rewarding you for being in love? I mean, you're not extending your life more than usual, and you didn't break a barrier for your survival. Well, perhaps being in love with someone means that you found your soul mate. Now I'm not saying that 100% of the time you're in love means that you found your soul mate, but your mind sees this as an opportunity to continue the human race.

"Continue the human race? What does that mean?" Well I mean have sex. Let's face it, we're sexual creatures and we have babies (or continue the human race) by having sex. When your mind sees that you're in love with someone, your mind turns into a pervert and gives you dopamine for getting one step closer to sex. Plus humans are social creatures, so being with people who accept you means that your life will be extended because back in the stone age when people needed to be in groups to help survive, being in groups would improve your survival chance.

Or… (Yes I said or, you're about to get yo behind schooled! *three snaps in a "Z" formation*)

Let's look at an experiment done in the 60s where there were practically no limits on psychology. A test was done on monkeys to see what person they (and in turn humans) would turn to in a time of crisis. Here's the test (it deserves its own paragraph)

Monkeys were introduced to two figures. One figure was wiry and unappealing. Sharp (but not harmful) edges, robotic looking, the typical machine. However it gave the monkey food whenever the monkey approached it. The other figure was soft looking, with soft material wrapped around the figure. It looked appealing but did nothing except provide a soft surface to hug. After the monkey got used to the two figures, a third figure appeared to scare the monkey. When the monkey got scared, the monkey went to one of the two figures. I'll give you a bit to guess. Answer is in the spoiler.

Spoiler: 
The soft, plush, appealing figure

But why did the monkey go to that figure? Surely the other figure was just as useful, if not more useful! The other figure gave the monkey food for Pete's sake! Well, possibly because it made the monkey feel protected. Whether or not the figure actually would do something (which it didn't) the monkey went to it probably because they felt that it would protect them. You can see this effect in humans. It's known as the Placebo Effect. It's most recognized for its role in medication. For those who don't know, the Placebo Effect is the effect on the human mind or human body by things that don't do what they are said to do. For example in many (MANY if not all) medication studies, one of the control groups gets a sugar pill, which does absolutely nothing. But a considerable amount of people in that group feel better from their ailment.

So what does the study have to do with dopamine? Well again, the monkey probably felt like it was being protected by the soft figure. Remember when I said that the mind gets a release of dopamine when survival is enhanced? This is the exact same area. The monkey probably felt like their survival was enhanced by going to the soft figure, the softness and plushness probably made the monkey feel safer. The mind probably gave the monkey dopamine because the survival of the monkey was thought to be increased because of the Placebo Effect.

So to review:
When the mind sees that you're in love you get a release of dopamine because you're paired up with someone and that means an increase in chance of continuing the human race, or it's because you feel protected against other people because you now have someone new on your side and probably willing to help protect you, we see this in the monkey test.

So now that we know what love is, what love's effect on you is, and why you experience happiness when you're in love with someone, what would you do to sustain this happiness? In Romeo and Juliet, Juliet faked her death and went against her family's pride to be with Romeo, who killed himself because he couldn't be with Juliet. In the TV show, the guy killed a lot of people who used to make fun of him and assault him because he loved his sister. In Oedipus Rex, Oedipus killed his father to marry his mother (which he didn't know it was his father or mother when he killed them, he was separated at birth).

What would you do for love? Please feel free to share in the comments. I think I'd probably get rid of most of my possessions if that would let me be with the person of my dreams Guys, just to make sure, no matter what the answer someone gives, please don't make fun of them. If someone says that they'd kill everyone for their love, then that's their feelings. Please remain open minded guys, and thanks for reading.

And as always, don't forget to be awesome.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

LAWLZOR :3
    Yeah, I think it's strange how the brain rewards us for being with our "soul-mate" when human beings, in their earliest years, were polyamorous.
    I thought you were a spam bot with all those words typed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion
    I thought you were a spam bot with all those words typed up.
    I should mention that i prewrote the next few blog entries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wumbo
    Yeah, I think it's strange how the brain rewards us for being with our "soul-mate" when human beings, in their earliest years, were polyamorous.
    To clarify, I mean that whenever you get a girlfriend, or wife, husband, whatever, your mind sees it as a step closer to sexual intercourse, which your mind sees as a way to continue the human race.
    Quote Originally Posted by LAWLzoR
    To clarify, I mean that whenever you get a girlfriend, or wife, husband, whatever, your mind sees it as a step closer to sexual intercourse, which your mind sees as a way to continue the human race.
    I don't know many guys who focus on the future of humanity while having sex. Although there may be some.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uprising
    I don't know many guys who focus on the future of humanity while having sex. Although there may be some.
    I'm not saying your conscience focuses on it, your brain automatically thinks this. While people are focused on the pleasure retained from having sex, the brain (not you, the brain, most likely the subconscious) sees this as "Hey, this guy is making babies which is what we want! Give him a reward of dopamine!" and so the brain rewards sex and sexual actions.
    Quote Originally Posted by LAWLzoR
    I'm not saying your conscience focuses on it, your brain automatically thinks this. While people are focused on the pleasure retained from having sex, the brain (not you, the brain, most likely the subconscious) sees this as "Hey, this guy is making babies which is what we want! Give him a reward of dopamine!" and so the brain rewards sex and sexual actions.
    So you're basically thinking it without actually knowing that you're thinking it. Makes sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uprising
    So you're basically thinking it without actually knowing that you're thinking it. Makes sense to me.
    That's the summary of the subconscious. Your subconscious thinks about things without you even knowing it. That's how subliminal messages get to you, at least in theory. It's rather difficult to explain, I suggest you ask a psychologist. It's like how you get happy when you eat when you're hungry. Your mind sees it as continuing your life, so the brain rewards you for eating when you're hungry.