Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Lohuydahutt's General Reviews

Lohuydahutt's Avatar Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Well, here's a bit of a change of pace except not really, but hey, it's technically a review of a medium I've never done before.

So here's my review of Pandora Hearts, the manga, not the anime (which I haven't watched yet but probably will eventually).

Plot Synopsis: Log Edition

OK so there's this prissy little rich kid named Oz and he turned 15 or whatever so that means he's an adult now or some shit. So he gets a cool little ceremony where they're like "yay you're an adult now" except everything changed when some emo kids in hooded cloaks attacked. They're all like "your sin is existing" and then Oz was cast into the motherfucking abyss where he met a cute animoo girl. That cute animoo girl is like "hey bitch wanna form a contract with me" because she's like, not a human or some shit and he's like "sure" and then they escape out of the dark LSD trip and try to figure out why the fuck that happened in the first place. And that's just like, the first few chapters kek. Basically it's edgy Alice in Wonderland except with a different plot.

The Characters

Unlike last time, we have a sizable supporting cast but the story is long enough that we are given enough time to give a shit about them so let's do this shitttttttttttt. Also, I'll be using anime pictures for them even though I'm not reviewing the anime so yeah...

Oz Vessalius

So here's our main protagonist, his character design is not particularly unique in any way. At the beginning he just screamed "I'M GENERIC CHEERFUL BUT IGNORANT SHONEN PROTAGONIST YOU'VE SEEN LIKE ALMOST 100 TIMES BEFORE!" But... yeah no, he's not. In fact, he's probably my favorite character in this series and I was 100% not expecting him to be at the start rip. He's actually pretty smart and mostly just acts like he's happy at the start of the story. As you could expect from a shonen protagonist he does put his life on the line to save others, but here it's less because he's some noble hero and more because he lacks any sense of self-worth. I could say a lot more about him but I don't feel like having this review be too spoiler-heavy but either way, seeing this guy develop and change as a character was certainly one of the highlights of this manga.

Alice

And then here's our lead female character Alice who's on a quest to find her lost memoriesssss. She's pretty much a tomboy, she's arrogant, impulsive, but pretty much always open about her feelings. She also really likes meat which makes her the worst character ever because I'm totally triggered by a 2D girl eating 2D meat :c While her design's much more interesting than Oz's she's not as interesting as a character. She doesn't really change THAT much as a character by the end of the series but then again that's mostly because there wasn't much about her or her outlook that needed to change in the first place. However, she's definitely likable and her interactions with other characters can be pretty fucking cute a lot of the time.
    Spoiler: 
    Especially with Oz prob, but this is one of those stories where the author kind of heavily implies some romantic feelings between them but never actually does anything with it. That's a bit of a pet peeve of mine to be honest. If you're going to imply that something's there, actually do something with it. Otherwise why the fuck is it there at all?

Gilbert Nightray

And then there's Gilbert, Oz's servant who has edgelord written all over his design but he's actually pretty kind and gentle most of the time. He's been through some shit and certainly has his own problems he needs to work out but he still never gives up on protecting his master/friend. He's a pretty cool character who undergoes some very nice development throughout the series.

Xerxes Break

Here's one of our primary resident badasses of the series, and his chain (which are basically just supernatural beast servant things a lot of these characters have) is the Mad Hatter. Gee, I wonder why they made that choice. He acts carefree but he can also be rather unsettling and creepy in some cases. He can also be that stoic badass that has a bad tendency to try to take on everything himself. Well, either way point is he's a pretty complex character who undergoes some pretty fucking good character development. To be honest that applies to a very good portion of this cast.

Sharon Rainsworth

While this girl's presented as one of the main characters of the series it must be noted that her role is kind of minor in comparison to the other ones up here. Still she's not a bad character by any means. While she's a noble she's not particularly arrogant or unwilling to get her hands dirty. In fact, it oftentimes comes up that she feels like she's not strong enough and wants to be able to help more. However, she's still probably one of my least favorites of the characters with a significant role in the story. Weird how a female mangaka manages to make the male cast more interesting than the female cast overall rip.

Jack Vessalius

Oz's ancestor who was believed to be a noble hero that fought against a certain major event that took place 100 years before the story started. While he's like, ded his spirit still lives within Oz...
    Spoiler: 
    and actually he has cemented himself as one of my new favorite villains in anime/manga. I like it when villains that aren't just evil for the sake of being evil but this guy has a pretty interesting backstory and motivations. Definitely did a good job playing with my expectations and not really hating him at all in spite of him being a complete bastard.

Well, I could write about more of the cast easily but point is, this is one of those cases where we have a very large cast but the supporting cast doesn't just feel like a bunch of cardboard cut-out characters. Almost all of the ones worth giving a damn about receive some sort of development and as such characterization is probably this story's strongest point, surprisingly enough.

The Story

The story of Pandora Hearts is honestly kind of hard to explain. Everything just sounds so complicated to the point of being convoluted if I tried to explain literally everything that happens, but even if some of the major plot twists in this story sound completely stupid when said out loud without much context such as
    Spoiler: 
    OZ WAS THE SOUL OF A STUFFED BUNNY RABBIT ALL ALONG :OOOOOOOOOO
    it's presented in a way where you can take it seriously when you actually read it. The story is complicated, and it does get convoluted and hard to follow at parts, but most of the time it's not. It's a mystery that leaves a sufficient amount of hints for the audience to figure things out but not to the point where it's too obvious. Plot convenience isn't exactly non-existent but it's not as prevalent as I would have expected. One of the major things I like the most about the writing here is how it reveals the mysteries. Oftentimes they'll reveal some major piece of information in such a way that it looks like the audience mostly has the full picture now. However, it's almost always missing key details, and these omissions COMPLETELY change the impression you get from them. This is especially true when it comes to knowing which characters are good and which ones are evil. By revealing only a small portion of the big picture the story becomes a lot more interesting and hard to predict. You never really know when there's more to the story or not. Point is, overall this story is not flawless in its execution but it's certainly unique and pretty damn well executed considering its ambitiousness.

The Art

Well, some character designs are more interesting than others but overall the art here is very good. ESPECIALLY when it comes to the designs of the chains, I mean just look at this badass fucking thing.
    Spoiler: 

OK, sometimes the action's a bit hard to follow but I imagine that's a problem that isn't exactly exclusive to this manga.

Overall

Pandora Hearts in some ways is close to the absolute ideal of what a manga should be. I personally care more about interesting characters than an interesting story, but it's even better when it delivers on both fronts. I kind of expected this to just have a really great story and OK characters but the characters ended up being the best part. That's not to say the story's bad, because it's not in the slightest. This manga's about reasonably long at about 100 chapters, and the author makes good use of this time to expand on the characters she created while moving the story along at a consistent pace. The pacing's almost perfect, it neither feels rushed or dragged the vast majority of the time. However, it must be noted that I found the story's build up to the ending considerably more interesting than the ending itself. For me the ending was like "OK, shit's going down, shit's exploding, people are dying, and I'm not exactly sure what's going on a lot of the time." I'm sure plenty of people could argue that it's an epic and climatic way to end and epic manga, and I can appreciate that but it was also probably the part of the manga that was the most difficult to follow. But I'll be honest, I've never been that huge on that kind of ending in the first place but perhaps that's just me. Not saying that it's a bad ending, in fact when I compare it to anime endings it's really fucking good and conclusive. But a good, conclusive ending seems to be more common in manga from my relatively limited experience so I'm not going to act like that makes it the best ending ever. I'm just saying that within the context of this manga it was one of the weaker parts, which isn't saying much. So yeah, overall this manga is not flawless. The story does get a bit convoluted at points, the writing sometimes gets a little overdramatic, sounding more like edgy poetry than the writing for a manga, and while the writing tries to develop all of these characters and make even the supporting cast interesting it doesn't ALWAYS succeed. In spite of those few notable flaws it's still a strong work overall, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. So I have little hesitation giving it a solid...

9/10

Spoiler: 
    My life story:
    Spoiler: 

Spoiler: 

I am PolarBore's official Assistant Mangager (again)

Brad's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    I know like zip-zop about most Manga, but this was an awesome review! You clearly put in both a lot of hard and smart work. Nice dude!

Woah Mama:

Spoiler: 

Quote Originally Posted by Juiz
    when you make a post and brad instantly buries it and you decide that maybe suicide is the answer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sane
    Brad didn't do shit to save the forum it was all NukeL3AR
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle
    fking brad with his white writing on a white background
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig
    Brad I swear to god I'll Fortnite dance on your grave
    Quote Originally Posted by Adonis
    brad can i hit ur juul please bro just one hit
    Quote Originally Posted by Wumbo
    ďBumbliníĒ Brad sent in a paper claiming to have ďinterviewedĒ me! Wrong! I have done no such thing, and Liddle Bradley had to sit in his room by himself and make up quotes in order to get his work ďpublishedĒ. Despite the negative forum covfefe, the Fake News Media controlled by Globalist Sam Bama is whipping itself into a frenzy trying to make up lies about your favorite forumer (Me!)

Blog Entries
    Today Iím reviewing a completely new topic quite unlike anything Iíve ever reviewed before.

So what am I reviewing you ask? This STAPLES neoprene pencil pouch. Why? IDK mang.

The Color

Mine is black, just black. Black is a very good color, reflects well upon my emotional state a lot of the time and doesnít look overly tacky. Itís not trying to be anything itís not. Itís not supposed to be happy, itís a fucking synthetic rubber pencil case. Why the fuck would that need to be bright and happy? Itís just an emotionless thing that you use to store pencils and stuff in. I really donít get why people want this kind of stuff to be colorful. Oh youíre such colorful people because you use colorful items! But all that makes you look is fake, fake like this freaking synthetic rubber ass pencil case. Itís black, which matches the color of its zipper, it may not be the most exciting color but it does its job. And to me, thatís good enough.

Shape

Itís basically tube shaped, and it looks like a thing you could put pencils in. Works for me.

The Material

This thing is made of neoprene apparently. Itís a synthetic rubber polymer thingamajig that some people are apparently allergic to. Iím not allergic to it though, so Iím cool with that. Itís elastic, so it allows you to stuff more pencils into it than you would normally think just by looking at it which is sweet. Nice and durable too, as most synthetic things are. I mean, sure you can dump them in the environment and theyíll be screwing the ecosystem until the end of time but itís been like 5 years and my pencil case still looks the same and works the same.

Price

My mom bought it like, 5 years ago so idk how much it costs. Probably not that bad tho.

Storage

As I am typing this, I am using it to bring a shit load of colored pencils to school so I can like, draw with them. I counted like, 36 pencils in there, which is like, a lot. Also, I could certainly fit in at least a little more if I tried. You could probably find a pencil case with superior storage capacity, but not in something as easy to carry around.

Alternative Uses

IDK, maybe if you stuffed it in with enough stuff you could use it as an alternate dildo I guessÖ? IDK, that doesnít sound very comfortable, but hey, Iím trying here.

Overall

Itís a pencil case, you can like, put pencils in it. Itís not trying to be anything it is not, you look at it and think ďthis is a thing I can put pencils into.Ē And thatís exactly what a pencil case fucking should be, I donít even know if they still even make this fucking model any more but it works for me. This might not make it an exemplary product, but it is quite close to my ideal. Sure Iím not always able to fit in all of the colored pencils I want but I assume Iím not the usual kind of person. And also due to how its built it might not be particularly good for just using a few regular pencils. It just feels so unsatisfying when you just have a few pencils in there, like itís meant to be filled to the brim. But whatever, it works for me.

9/10

Spoiler: 
    My life story:
    Spoiler: 

Spoiler: 

Poles's Avatar Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Did you get paid for this

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PolARRRR View Post
    Did you get paid for this
    I wish kek

Spoiler: 
    My life story:
    Spoiler: 

Spoiler: 

Blog Entries
    you shoulda been because I want one of these now

GonadTheNomad's Avatar Bon Vivant of Violet
    Blog Entries
    Review your backpack next.
    Spoiler: 

Act uqa wa it
    Spoiler: 
    Quote Originally Posted by ďAdonisĒ
    Act
    uqa
    wa
    it
    Gonad has no nads pass it on!!!!11!

Blog Entries
    Welp, today it’s time for another top 10 because why the fuck not. Except this time it’s not my list of favorite songs overall, and I’m not going to dedicate separate posts to each song because I don’t actually have all that much to say about them. Instead here’s a top 10 instrumental tracks. OK, first of all I don’t listen to dedicated instrumental albums like, at all. I literally have one of those, and it’ll probably be included on this list. So the songs on here are all ones off of albums that happen to be instrumental with like, one exception. Also note I won’t be including video game soundtracks or anything like that, because that would be too easy probably. Theme songs are fine though, because those are things that are normally expected to have lyrics probably. Also I’ll keep it limited to one per artist to keep it interesting because why the fuck not. Well, with that out of the way here’s my top 10 instrumentals coming from a guy who doesn’t listen to all that many instrumentals rip.

OK we’re counting down guys.

Propeller 9-The Notwist

Let’s start out with one of my weirder picks because why the fuck not. This is electronic I guess…? It starts out with some weird bassline thing and then there’s this “plop” sounding thing and then it just gradually gets weirder. Or as I would prefer to say, more interesting. The bassline is at least kind of catchy so it helps wrap you into the song. And once you’re in, you start paying attention to all of the other interesting sounds that pop up. I’m not quite sure why three instrumental tracks are tacked onto the end of this album after the closer. They don’t really add much to the album as a whole, they’re just kind of there. However, this specific track holds up just fine on its own so whatever. What does this song have to do with propellers, why the fuck is this the 9th one? The world may never know sadly. I might not know what the fuck this is supposed to be, but I like it any way.

8/10

No God Only Religion-Spiritualized

This one’s similar to Propeller 9 in the sense that it has a main hook and then everything just goes crazy in the background. I just find this one a little bit easier to get into to be honest. Perhaps it wouldn’t hurt for this song to be a bit shorter, but I guess it still works this way. Still, the title doesn’t seem to have all that much to do with the song… or does it…? OK, so you have this booming main hook that’s kind of catchy to some extent but it’s repetitive and doesn’t really change much at all as the song progresses. The song itself is chaos, but there’s always this main hook to hold it together. But is it really holding it together? Perhaps it’s the driving force of the chaos and conflict in this song to begin with. And if it does hold everything together, is that necessarily a good thing? On its own merits this main hook is just as abrasive if not more so as any other individual component of this instrumental. I could compare that to organized religion, but I’ll just not so subtly imply that I’m making a comparison without ever explicitly stating it :3 It’s also a nice blast of energy after Broken Heart in the context of the album. Either way, it’s an enjoyable instrumental.

8/10

The Cascades-Fleet Foxes

In contrast to the last two, I like this one just because it’s pleasant and listen to, plain and simple. I kind of wish I saw more folksy instrumentals like this, I’m sure there are more out there. It’s a nice natural and rich sound, and it takes you on a nice little journey for those whole two minutes. There’s really not all that much to say about it, it’s just a beautiful piece that probably takes at least a decent amount of technical skill to pull off. Not a huge amount going on in contrast to the previous two entries, but I can enjoy what it does offer. So I guess I’ll stop repeating the same thing with different wording and just give it a score.

8/10

The Black Hawk War, or, How to Demolish an Entire Civilization and Still Feel Good About Yourself in the Morning, or, We Apologize for the Inconvenience but You're Going to Have to Leave Now, or, 'I Have Fought the Big Knives and Will Continue to Fight Them Until They Are Off Our Lands!’-Sufjan Stevens

If this was a best song title ever list this one would be under heavy consideration. But unfortunately, this is an instrumental review, so y’know. There’s actually some singing/use of voices here but they’re not actually saying anything so I’ll call it safe. This is quite the pump-up song by Sufjan Steven’s standards, but I will admit that standard is very low. Repetition is something that becomes especially noticeable in instrumental tracks, but I don’t really mind in this case. The drums and trumpets or whatever the fuck those are working together just make for one pretty epic sound. Sufjan Stevens doing somewhat over the top orchestration is just fun to listen to in general to be honest. And this time we have a nice over the top name to go right along with it. And people thought Panic! At the Disco was bad kek.

8/10

Arco Arena-Cake

Ahhh Cake, the main thing I normally like about them is their interesting lyrics. Turns out they can be fun to listen to even without those. Enter Arco Arena, a song about… idk ARCO Arena probably. Has a nice mix of electric guitars, some weird sounding acoustic guitar (idk could be a banjo for all I know I don’t music rip), and a couple of other random ass instruments because why not. And best of all it has John McCrea saying “HO!” and “HUHHHHHHH” and “YAHHHHHHHHH!” and “WATCH IT! WATCH IT!” Meh, close enough to an instrumental. It sounds bad ass and it’s quite fun to listen to for whatever reason. Transitions into Comfort Eagle pretty well too, which is nice. Almost feels a bit too short honestly.

8.5/10

Intermission-Tool

So, this song is on a metal album. Yep. Truly the best metal song to ever grace this planet. Because whenever I listen to metal, I think “damn I wish we had some barbershop style shit up in here.” It’s funny because of how amazingly out of place it is in Tool’s discography, but I legitimately enjoy it for some reason. In fact, it’s easily the instrumental I’ve listened to the most out of any of these. Granted, that’s mostly because I play a 10 minute loop of it on Watch2Gether or rabb.it whenever we’re waiting on something for the lulz. But you know what? I’m still not tired of this song. Frankly, that has to be some testament to how enjoyable this is in its own dumb way.

The Futurescope Trilogy: III. Return to Ithaka-Weezer

And here we have Weezer trying prog rock for some reason… Meh, I’ll take it. Yes, it’s mostly just the same riff for the entire song, but it’s a good sounding riff. And it’s not like they’re playing it the same way the entire time. They start off with this one riff and just start building up on it over the course of the song quite well. It’s rare to see Weezer try to do this kind of stuff with their music, so when it does happen it is certainly a treat. Sometimes I like listening to electric guitars play some badass sounding shit. I can be a simple man sometimes, and while this does probably excite the most basic aspects of my taste, I won’t act like I don’t enjoy it. It’s a very fun song to listen to, and that’s the beginning and end of it. For an album called Everything Will Be Alright in the End the closer was more than just alright in the end… OK I’ll go ahead and jump off a cliff or some shit now.

8.5/10

Le Voyage de Pťnťlope-Air

Speaking of closers… well, idk here’s another closer I guess. While this song does have a main hook it only really shows up during the second half of the song so I guess it’s like, half a hook idk. Air makes some nice instrumentals, I might have included a second one here if I didn’t have a “one per artist” restriction rip. Moon Safari is a nice relaxing album to listen to, and it’s still interesting in its own way. I probably like Talkie Walkie more than Moon Safari, but hey, they’re both nice. Turns out one of the standout songs off of this album is an instrumental, that’s rarely the case for me tbh. It’s hard to say what precisely I like about this song, it just gives me good vibes manggggggggggg or whatever. I love the horn sounding thing that may or may not be coming from an actual instrument, I love the general feel of the song, I think the more experimental aspects of this song work pretty well, it’s just an enjoyable piece for me.

9/10

Guns & Roses (Baccano! OP)-Paradise Lunch

Is this the best anime opening ever?????? Mm, probably not. I could easily put Tank! from Cowboy Bebop in this spot for pretty much the same reason, but I haven’t actually watched that show yet while I have watched Baccano! so you knowwwwwwwwwww. It’s a mafia show, except it has some immortality shit going on and an interesting approach to storytelling idk mang. Either way, just jazzing out for the opening fit very well for the show, and it definitely goes down as one of the best animoo openings I’ve had the pleasure of hearing. It just has this way of immediately hooking you in that few OPs I’ve seen have quite matched. After starting this song the thought “this will be a fun ride” applies to both the show and the song. Baccano itself wasn’t the most amazing show ever, but I liked it. I’d probably give it an 8 or an 8.5 but I digresssssss. I don’t actively seek out jazz music, I’m sure there are plenty of high energy jazz songs just like this out there. Perhaps this one isn’t particularly unique at all, but meh who cares? It’s still a blast to listen to.

9/10

There Are Some Remedies Worse Than the Disease-This Will Destroy You

Wow, the top instrumental song I’ve heard is off of a dedicated instrumental album. Go figure, maybe I should listen to those more often kek. Honestly, I just get the sense that a lot of thought and time went into making this song, more so than any other on this list any way. This song takes you on a journey through a bunch of different moods, from a desolate sounding beginning to an angrier conclusion and everything in between. And it sounds beautiful the entire way through. You can visualize whatever you want with this, but it certainly evokes something. This one also has the benefit of never feeling too repetitive, which a lot of the other ones on this list admittedly suffer from a bit. In contrast, this one doesn’t stay in the same place. There’s a lot of variety in this song alone, but it all feels connected. Post-rock is a good genre; I should listen to it more often.

9.5/10
    Last edited by Lohuydahutt; 03-13-2017 at 07:02 PM.

Spoiler: 
    My life story:
    Spoiler: 

Spoiler: 

Blog Entries
    Cool list mang I'll be sure to listen to the ones I haven't already listened to