Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So that was...

Rocket's Avatar Bon Vivant of Violet
    Blog Entries
    I'm actually excited for the Olympics game. It's the first game with rugby union or rugby league available for the Wii U/3DS.
    mom said its my turn to have mod back

Quote Originally Posted by Juiz
    rocket-senpai makes my kokoro go doki doki
    Quote Originally Posted by BSB
    Rocket you single handedly saved the site. Never thought it would be you but congratulations

rangernumberx's Avatar A Beautiful Sunset at Noon
    Blog Entries
    The Lady in the Van

So that was The Lady in the Van and...well, thatís it. That might as well be the review, right there. Look, donít get me wrong, itís well acted. Alex Jennings plays a good Alan Bennett, and Maggie Smith is great as always. Itís not even that bad a movie, with it telling a nice little biographical story of a lady who lived in Bennetís driveway for several years, ultimately becoming so much a part of his life that she ended up hijacking the title. Itís just...thereís nothing really to say about it. When my family finished watching it, me and my sister agreed (a rarity in itself) that we didnít really come out of the movie with anything. Itís just...a thing that happened. Yes, the roughly 100 minutes we spent watching it couldíve been spent on something worse, but it could have been spent on something much better as well.

The one thing that was particularly noticeable, though, was the ending. Why do I say that? Well, despite not being on the TV Tropes page for it or having ever experienced one first hand, it was undeniably one hell of a Gainax ending. I guess itís not so much spoilers in saying why this ending is brought about, but exactly what it contains is...well, itís certainly something, so Iíll give you the chance to skip out on this paragraph. You still here? Alright then. Well, as can be predicted with such biopics, it ends around the time where the main focus (the lady) dies. She ends up being buried, and the two Bennetts talk to each other about her (oh, yeah, thereís two Alan Bennetts. Itís stated early in the movie that he was made of two personalities, the writer and the liver...erm, the person that does the living, and this is used for internal monologues Alan has about things. Itís actually a nice idea, but, based on the crowd I watched it with, the reasoning for two Bennetts was not made obvious enough). Then, she appears. Obviously its a ghost, but no warning or indication to this was given. Then she brings out a guy who she thought she had killed but it was his fault entirely (which was why she ended up living in her van and became the person she was), and states they have much to talk about. Then she walks off into the distance. Then Alan says something to Alan, and she gets raised into heaven. And when I say raised into heaven, I mean given the full ascension treatment. Holy light basking her, parting of clouds, angels gathering, the only thing it was missing was an appearance from God from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Then we get some more dialogue, then the real Alan Bennett appears, cycles down to the set, where the actor Alan Bennett is revealing one of those blue circles that tell you a famous person lived there, with the name on it being ĎThe Lady in the Vaní. Yeah. A bit of a mindf**k, but...no, no buts. I canít really describe it, especially since the rest of the movie was realistic.

So would I recommend it? Well, for the first time, not really. Again, everything was perfectly fine about it, with Maggie getting some priceless lines. In fact, it was probably a good movie. But there just isnít anything to really back it up: As the lack of paragraphs above might suggest, thereís nothing to say about it, nothing standing out, besides from the ending that you could probably find on YouTube. It also suffers the same problem I had with The Danish Girl, and is something that varies from person to person. I did not have a particular interest in the character, as I did with Hawking in The Theory of Everything, nor did I have a particular interest in the story of what they did, as I did with Turing in The Imitation Game. So, you can go watch it. I wonít stop you, and you may find something spectacular in it that I didnít. Just donít expect to be remembering it in a monthís time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Juiz View Post
    I once heard Ranger was a legend.
    Now I can confirm Ranger is a legend.

sane's Avatar A Beautiful Sunset at Noon
    Blog Entries
    So basically its one of those "good acting" movies? I know a bit of em

Good job Sane. You killed the forum.

Turtlesauce's Avatar 2016 Writer of the Year
    Blog Entries
    These reviews are awesome rango, glad you found your own style
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I will delete this forum.

Blog Entries
    FNAF World

So that was FNAF World, and I swear I was going to record footage of my first time playing it, but no joking at all, it just ended up recording the Steam page. Yeah. I have no idea how that happened either. Anyway, whatís obvious from the start is that FNAF World is a vast departure from the usual gameplay style of restricted movement, fear-inducing characters, and jumpscares. Instead, itís (as of update two, given it was previously just in an Atari-esk style) a cartoonish RPG, featuring the stars of FNaFs 1 through 4. And the glitch characters. And a plush of two of those glitch characters. And the paper plate people-ok, whoís idea was this? Was there really such a strict character quota that called for the freaking paper plates to become playable characters? F**k, the CUPCAKE would have been a better character than this!

Anyway, the plot of this game is simple: Somethingís going wrong, go fix it through fighting a ton of random enemies and animatronics from Fazbear knock offs and following the guidance of Fredbear, the only regular talkative NPC outside of Lolbit, the shopkeeper that keeps on appearing along the path. I quite like the battle system in this game. You have a team of four characters, all of which are sent out when an encounter starts (usually random, but some bosses appear on the map), like in Final Fantasy. It also takes a real time combat approach, making it akin to the combat of the later Final Fantasy games, but without any designation of who your attacks should hit, instead choosing randomly if an attack only hurts one enemy or sending items across the whole screen if you choose a group attack. It also has the unique mechanic of having a second team of four characters, which you can switch to at any time, as long as youíre not in the middle of an attack and the other team isnít entirely dead. This does help a lot when your characters are poisoned, canít move because of jumpscare, or you just want to keep attacking despite none of your current team being ready to attack just yet. The problem is that absolutely no explanation of any kind is given to you, meaning your first experience is most likely going to be like mine: Finish Fredbearís speech, move for a second, then HOLY CRAP WHAT ARE THOSE GUYS WHAT IS THIS THING UM I GUESS IíM FIGHTING NOW ARENíT YOU GOING TO EXPLAIN ANYTHING? Not an exact quote from my recording, but pretty close.

After some of these battles, even if you ran away from them, youíll have a message appear in front of you saying that a new challenger is approaching, and you end up fighting a well known FNaF character (or, you know, the paper plates) who you recruit if you beat them. Yep, you may get to smash Balloon Boy to pieces, but he then chooses to latch onto you. Like the f**king battery leech that he is. These characters all have different set moves which allows you to switch them about in your teams to result in the best combination, with stronger characters (such as the two best characters in the normal game, Spring Bonnie and and Funtime Foxie/Unmangled Mangle) being both rarer and available only nearer the end of the game, giving the thing a bit of a Pokemon feel. The problem is how hard it is to actually find some of these characters. On my second play through of the game, this time on hard mode, I spend an hour and a half looking for Spring Bonnie and Nightmare, with only Nostalgia Critic reviews on my phone to keep me from going mad, and even then I only found the former and called it quits.

But, of course, this is a FNaF game, and nothing is quite as simple as it seems on the surface. By the way, spoilers from here on. Just go down to the final three sentences if you want my verdict without spoilers. Anyway, both standard endings, the ones which occur if you do what Fredbear tells you to and you follow the railroaded path, are designed to be unsatisfactory. The one on normal mode has you chastised for beating it on normal, and punishes you with what it recognizes is a rubbish, abrupt end. On hard mode, you get an extra boss battle against Scottís avatar after the normal mode boss, and when you kill him he laments how nothing he does keeps people satisfied, and that you just had to end the story by killing the narrator. So, if you start a new game, you can wait on the final text box of each of Fredbearís speeches for a while, and then you get a glitchy, pixelated Fredbear talk to you with a black background. I am at least 72% certain that this is the same Fredbear as the one that guides the child in FNaF 4, but whatever. He tells you that something a lot more sinister is occurring, that someone is playing you like a puppet, laughing all the while. He tells you the Ďtruthí over your meetings with him, that nothing youíre being told to really matters, and you have to find the clocks that only appear after these conversations with him. Do all this, and you get...what I think is a modified, first person viewpoint FNaF 4 ending. It states that the pieces are all in place, so itís basically just theorist fuel that doesnít make complete sense. Maybe itís now possible to find out the truth about the story, or to unlock the box that people couldnít open before? I donít know.

After the basic endings, though, is where the real fun of the update begins. By holding up against one of the houses in the starting village, you enter a grey room with a man at a desk, presumably the actual Scott Cawthorn. And man, heís depressed. He basically tells you to get lost and that maybe heíll tell you something later, and when you leave Fredbear has reappeared. This is when the game that was pretty meta beforehand just cranks it up to eleven, with Fredbear breaking character, telling us the showís over, the game bombed, and that ďEveryone here is on edgeĒ, presumably because of Scottís behaviour. He realizes that youíre not going to leave, and then takes you to the backstage of the Halloween update, where the code of numerous unused characters (which are still on the bottom row of your character select screen, for some reason) are recycled for other games. Here, my laptop just couldnít handle everything the game was doing, causing it to freeze mid-level and was only fixable through restarting my laptop. So, yeah, I had to instead look up these games on Youtube. And you know what? Theyíre pretty damn clever. Thereís a 2D space shooter with obvious Star Fox allegories, thereís a jab at those terrible indie horror games (yeah, we all know the joke, but this is more akin to Sonic.exe. Heck, itís even called Foxy.exe. How come the purposefully terrible one is the only one that my computer could actually run?), a Kaizo Mario-esk platformer with an obnoxiously cute rainbow thatís actually an asshole, and FNaF 57: Freddy in Space. Yeah, that April Fools joke that Scott did a while back? Thatís an actual thing, with a Metroid/Mega Man platforming-shooter style and many jabs about sequelitus. I personally think that these are all pretty clever, and as someone who first thought that the game was going to quickly get messed up, itís nice to see that there is some mocking of genres and the game isnít a straight-edge RPG as it first appears, with the updates in the V2 patch having an enjoyable contrast between creepiness (Real Scott, Fredbear talking about there being no point in continuing) and humour (Fredbear, in light of that, having submitted his application for the local Fazburger already).

This all culminates to the Ďtrueí final boss, who is built up to be purposefully impossible to beat, in addition to the location where it is being filled with a poisonous gas, so unless you use a move exclusive to some of the characters only unlockable in this area, you are going to quickly and rapidly lose health. I think the enemies here are recycled from the April Fools FNAF World, the one which was just a re-skinned version of one of Scottís previous games. They keep the same 8-bit style anyway, and at the very end is the final boss, a purple monstrosity that I think was the final boss of the re-skin as well. So, you start the battle, set up the move that stops you from losing your HP...and then that bloody rainbow from that Kaizo Mario game appears, asking you in a voice which sounds like Dee Deeís if it was a ton more annoying if you really thought it would be so easy. She then charges up a laser that will kill your party regardless of the state itís in with extreme overkill, and you have three minutes to defeat her. This is all while she sends mini rainbows at you, and if they hit your characters, they will die. Again, I havenít played this myself, but from what Iíve seen it seems to be a boss that reaches Dark Souls levels of difficulty. Obviously, this is because, in-universe (sorta. I donít know what else to use, even with the meta level of this game) itís supposed to be impossible to beat. Beating her leads her to complain that you cheated, your mother shouldíve told you you canít kill a rainbow, that next time you see a rainbow it will be her coming for you, and that youíre an dumb***. Yes, she censors herself. Anyway, you are sent back to Scottís room, where he talks about how he has created an animatronic, Baby, who he canít deactivate. Said animatronic appears, tells everyone to ďStay in (their) seats, the show is about to beginĒ, and then KILLS Scott, leaving a to-be-continued. While it seems to be sequel baiting for a third update, I like how it sets up this new villain (who is, by the way, the iconic animatronic in Sister Location from the looks of things) by flat out killing the gameís creator (and not just an avatar of him), and possibly being the one who talks to you in the clock ending (but this is just based on the fact you only see the eyes of both, and said eyes are the same. No proof or anything). It also keeps the contrast between the humour of the deadly asshole final boss rainbow, and the creepiness of the creator being murdered by a character we have yet to see in action.

So would I recommend it? ...I honestly donít know. Donít get me wrong, while this isnít the best game ever made, it is still perfectly decent. While in my first play through I was uncertain as to how fun it really was I did enjoy it more when playing it on hard mode, but that could be because I was looking at all of the glitch Fredbear messages and also doing the clock challenges. The gameís most enjoyable initial aspects are kind of paradoxial. Like Undertale, the best way to experience it would be to go through it blind, find all of these things out yourself. But that is made impossible due to the length of time it takes for glitch Fredbear to appear meaning youíll probably only find him if you go to another window to do something and then return, the fact that you canít even access the second part of the game, the part I kept on praising up there, without for some reason holding up on a random house only after you finished the main game in normal/hard mode, and the fact that there are numerous hidden walls you have to find and go through in order to proceed normally. Seriously, I ended up having to find a walkthrough online, because I didnít realize that (without any real hints or prompting) I had to hold up on on particular tent for a few seconds to enter a zone that makes you feel like youíre viewing it on drugs, which just makes it harder to identify the hidden walls you need to pass through. This means, unless you extensively mess with the game, you canít enjoy it fully, which you canít do anyway because you looked up the answers. Even in the second part of the game, even if your computer can handle it, thereís still a fair bit of bugs and glitches that caused the game to freeze which I donít think is just my computer. My first save file was even made unplayable, because of a glitch that made the ĎEXP to next levelí counter go up instead of down, making me unable to pass a certain boss and start the game again. The boss music, while great, just gets completely lost in the onslaught of attacks you both send at each other, and everything good in this game has something to counter it. So...Iíd say play this if you want the experience of playing it, and if you want to play through the inevitable upcoming update. Otherwise, just watch a letís play of it. But hey, thatís just me, go play it if you want, itís a free download.

Turtlesauce's Avatar 2016 Writer of the Year
    Blog Entries
    Meeeeeh, you maybe made me want to play it.

BTW, ever considered turning these into videos of you talking about the game?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I will delete this forum.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    Meeeeeh, you maybe made me want to play it.

BTW, ever considered turning these into videos of you talking about the game?
    I did realize while writing this that it was getting to such a length, I could just fill it up with other things that I missed out (such as the chips, and the bytes in the combat system) and it could work as a full on video review. Maybe I'll venture into that territory while on holiday from school, because I would be interested in trying that out, but for now I won't. I'd have to learn/download a video editor, get clips, get a decent camera, and a whole load of other stuff that I don't think I should do without a ton of time dedicated to learning to how to use them in a decent fashion.

Moonjik's Avatar Fine Red Wine
    Blog Entries
    I will never touch FNAF...I'm sorry
    But,░in░truth,░I░have░wept░too░much!░Dawns░are░hea rtbreaking.
    Ξvery░moon░is░atrocious░and░every░sun░bitter. (ュ だ  どいロリラ威萎虞う ャイ意営縁ぇヵ)

Quote Originally Posted by Juiz
    moon you're hurting me in ways you'll never even know. lets do that suicide, buddy.

YellowNerd's Avatar More Blonde in your Movie
    Blog Entries
    In no offence to anyone who likes Fnaf world, but i think the amount of shit on your screen during a battle sucks balls. Great review rango

Blog Entries
    The Stanford Prison Experiment

So that was The Stanford Prison Experiment, and forget everything else, you want to know one reason why you should watch this? I watched this in my final two psychology classes (because nobody gives a f**k at the end of term, not even the teachers), and my teacher told me that this film, having been based off of the public access videos of the event and consulting Zimbardo himself, is highly accurate to the actual thing. That’s right, forget your Imitation Games and your The Butlers, because this is actually accurate to what happened. And, you know what? That only makes it all the more chilling.

I guess I should say for all of you that aren’t LAWLzor what the Stanford Prison Experiment is (I apologize if any of you do know of this experiment, he’s just the one person I can count on to know of it). In the 1970s, Doctor Philip Zimbardo (who was, coincidentally, classmates and student friends with Stanley Milgram, a psychologist who also conducted an incredibly well known and controversial study testing conformity) decided to conduct an experiment looking at how students, with no previous encounters with the law, stable mental health, and so on, reacted to being assigned the role of ‘guard’ and ‘prisoner’. While I don’t believe they were directly compared and put in pairs, they were rather similar under the criteria Zimbardo set, and the only thing that separated the guards from the prisoners was a coin toss. The guards were told to keep the prisoners in check, given the routine the prisoners would follow, the psychologists running the experiment set up a camera in the hallway, and...they pretty much left them all to it.

But why was this study so controversial, I hear you cry despite surely sitting silently in front of a monitor half way around the world? Well, if you want a hint of how far it went, the study was planned to last for two weeks. It ended up being canceled on the sixth day. And this was in the days before any regulations or guidelines were instated, heck, it’s one of the reasons the guidelines were instated. You could say that this experiment was the Mortal Kombat of psychology and be accurate. Anyway, participants were fed measly portions of food, forced to sleep on the floor and go to the toilet in a communal bucket, were made to wear nothing but a rather crappy dress with additional number and hair cap, and if they ever disobeyed the guards they would be put in ‘the hole’, a cupboard which was basically sensory/social deprivation combined with solitary confinement. And trust me, this is just the start of the regular punishments, and doesn’t even cover the individual and unique punishments.

Basically, the entire thing was a mess. By the end of 24 hours, one person signed a letter using his prison number, and the rest followed suit. Zimbardo took the role of prison superintendent, and he (and the other two psychologists that assisted him, but Phillip went the farthest) became almost as bad as the guards, even refusing to allow the prisoners to leave the experiment when they asked, one of the things stipulated in their contract. This is, until Zimbardo’s future-wife provided her evaluation of the experiment, and so it was canceled. So, why have I only described the experiment, and not the movie? Well, like I said before, it’s so accurate, the movie essentially is the experiment. The plot isn’t exactly a surprise to those who know about the experiment, it doesn’t follow the three act structure or any traditional movie format, and it only elapses the time from the interviews with the students that would partake in it to the debrief at the end (something that later became required for all psychological experiments) and simple text explaining how none of the participants came out of it any worse, and how almost all of them said they were glad they partook in the experiment.

I have heard this movie be described as one of the finest horror movies ever made. You know, I can see why. The film is very well put together, with the knowledge of them all being students, the numerous reminders of various subtlety that they were only separated via coin toss, and the extent to which the guards and prisoners conform to their given roles is intensely unsettling. It always seems like media which focuses on how far normal humans can go in extraordinary circumstances tend to be excellent in inducing fear, with another example of this being the Doctor Who episode Midnight. This is only further backed by the actors: There is not one dud in the cast, and they do their job of making you believe they’re being put through this horrific torment as the prisoners/losing their mind to the role of cops exceedingly well, as well as Billy Crudup excellently portraying the scientist (yes psychology is a science) that became too involved in his own experiment, resulting in an even worse result than if he hadn’t, overall being a figure that would certainly not be out of place as the main villain, or the creator of the main villain, in a horror movie. However, I do hesitate to call it a horror movie. While it’s not at the front of your mind, you probably still know in the back of your mind that nobody is going to get killed. That’s not to say that you’re not going to be holding your breath out of suspense throughout this picture, but that will be through the unsettling nature of the almost unnatural events, not due to actually ‘scary’ things. So, I would say that it is more likely to be a thriller than a horror movie.

So would I recommend it? I can understand if it’s not for you. You are watching two hours of young adults mentally torturing other young adults simply because of the position they were put in, all for the sake of science. You will witness two of these people snap and get pulled from the experiment within the 6 day time frame. It is not the movie you want to watch if you want to be cheered up. But if you’re looking for a good bit of suspense, or if you’re interested in the premise or a major part of psychology history, or even just want a historical movie that’s actually accurate, I strongly recommend it. If you’ve got to study the Stanford Prison Experiment at school, then I would say that you have to watch it: You won’t be forgetting anything about it easily.