Thread: Ludwig's Album Rankings

Katz's Avatar Ladybug Pajamas
    Blog Entries

Ludwig's Album Rankings

Separate from my other reviews which are oriented for movies, writing, and miscellaneous things, I've been thinking of making this one.

I basically take an album and rank all of the songs from least favorite to favorite.

Feel free to suggest an album, and I'll give it a listen!

---

Note: I understand that at the beginning it looks like I'm shitting on all the songs with featured artists, but you must understand that only two songs aren't credited as having featured artists.

Episode 1: Coloring Book (Chance the Rapper) [2016]

14. No Problem (Featuring Lil Wayne and 2 Chainz) - Man, I know this is generally a well liked song, but I just don't like it. The actual verses don't really hold up with the rest of the album, and the chorus is what solidifies this song as the worst on the album.

13. Juke Jam (Featuring Justin Bieber and Twokio) - Not much to say. I genuinely dislike this song. I just can't get into it.

12. All Night (Featuring Knox Fortune) - This is going to sound odd. This song is amazing. The only thing is that it just really clashes with the rest of the album in my mind, and that's what holds it back.

11. Angels (Featuring Saba) - Believe it or not, just a few songs in, and it's getting hard to make my choices for the list. This is such a great album. There's nothing wrong with the song Angels, it's just not as good as the rest of the album.

10. Mixtape (Featuring Lil Yachty and Young Thug) - Man I fucking hate both of the featured artists. Somehow, they managed to not completely butcher this song. It has one of my favorite hooks of the album. Young Thug's part isn't too great though, so that clips the wings of this song. Had this song only been Chance and Lil Yachty, it may have made it higher.

9. Blessings 1 - So, the first song not credited for having a featured artist. Man, I just can't get into this song. It's certainly not bad, Blessings 2 is just a whole lot better and makes this one harder to listen to.

8. Summer Friends (Featuring Jeremih) - Okay, so by man fans of Chance, this song is considered to be the best song on Coloring Book. And I really can't see how. It sounds really bland at parts. It's certainly not bad, and I could listen to it multiple times with no complaint, but this song doesn't deserve to be credited as the best.

7. All We Got (Featuring Kanye West and Chicago Children's Choir) - The beginning of where the songs are truly hard to pick. I love this song. With every album after 808's and Hearbreak from Kanye, I didn't think I would like him again, but this song certainly changed my mind.

6. D.R.A.M Sings Special (Featuring D.R.A.M) - Wow. This song is just awesome. It always gives me a weirdly nostalgic feeling that I can't shake off. I didn't like this song at first, but I absolutely love it now.

5. How Great (Featuring Jay Electronica and My cousin Nicole) - This song is so badass. I love songs that sound dark, and Chance's aggressive vocals mixed with the godlike instrumental cement this song for me. It's fucking AWESOME.

4. Blessings 2 (Featuring Ty Dolla Sign, Raury, BJ the Chicago Kid and Anderson Paak) - This song is powerful. That's almost all I can say about it. I don't know what this song should even be classified as, but it's beautiful, and wholly better than its aforementioned counterpart.

3. Smoke Break (Featuring Future) - So, let's see. I love this instrumental. I love Chance's rapping. I love Future's rapping. I love the hook to this song. I went from hating this song, to loving it to an unhealthy extent.

2. Finish Line / Drown (Featuring T-Pain, Kirk Franklin, Eryn Allen Kane and Noname) - For a song about death, this song is so upbeat and catchy. And for that reason I love it. It has a sort of gospel feel mixed with some clever rhymes, and it's all around catchy. T-Pain makes for the perfect chorus. Drown makes for an excellent followup, and I'm glad they're bundled in the same song. They feel incomplete separate, but together? They complete the song. So what song could compete?

1. Same Drugs - Damn. This song is the musical equivalent of heart wrenching sadness. From the second I heard the first piano chord, I knew it was going to be my favorite song on the album. Was I right? Hell yeah. I listened to it on a three hour bus ride, and it took up a majority of the time. This song has such a sad feeling to it. Chance doesn't need to rap to convey the message. You can almost relate to his narrative. This song is perfect, and makes for the best song on the album.
    Hey, I'm Katz, and I'm a former Global Moderator! Always here to talk! If you haven't already, register an account!

In my island of dreams, you are with me it seems

sane's Avatar A Beautiful Sunset at Noon
    Blog Entries
    <3 was hoping I'd see this when I clicked on this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Juiz View Post
    Good job Sane. You killed the forum.

Poles's Avatar Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    this makes me wanna listen to it so I will now

Blog Entries
    Note: My opinions on this album are really low because i'm only reviewing because it was requested by my brother.

Episode 2: Stoney (Post Malone) [2016]

14. Broken Whiskey Glass - God damn this song sounds like shit. No other way to put it. One of the worst songs I heard in 2016.

13. I Fall Apart - Honestly what the fuck even is this song. It sounds so confused on what it's trying to be. That confuses me as well, so I don't like it.

12. Patient - This is the epitome of repetitiveness. This whole song in general is repetitive and a lot of the songs sound the same, but this one gets it the worst. It's not as bad as Broken Whiskey Glass or I Fall Apart, but it's honestly trash. Repetitive and bad beat, along with vocals that could pass as any other song on this list.

11. Go Flex - Man for a song with such an intense name and some hard lyrics, you'd expect it to sound super hardcore. Oddly enough, this is one of, if not the most calm song on the album. And this is where it suffers. He sounds so disinterested over this track. Even the chorus is lame.

10. Feel (ft. Kehlani) - Another boring song. No other way to put it.

9. Too Young - Holy shit this song is also boring. That's the problem of this album, I swear. All of the songs sound similar and they're so boring. This song isn't the worst of the bunch, but it's far from being good. I hope you like the words "i don't wanna die too young" because Post Malone will burn the fucking meaning of the words out of your mind.

8. Yours Truly, Austin Post - Fuck me. For the last song on the album, it just solidifies my dislike. It's so fucking bad. It's just robotic noises combined with some bland songwriting. Almost halfway through the album and there's not even been a song I tolerate.

7. Big Lie - Here we are. The halfway mark and no sign of any good songs on this list. It's just so stupid. I could give my complaints, but it's the same shit as the rest of what I've already said.

6. No Option - It's boring. It's slow. It's making me want to die, typing this shit at 2:20 in the morning. Fuck youuu album and this song.

5. Deja Vu (ft. Justin Bieber) - This song is not that good. It's only at #5 because it really was slim pickings for this album. This song is so sluggish, I feel like it's what plays when your brain is bleeding out on the sidewalk and you're transitioning into death. After having to sit through this album, I wouldn't mind that either.

4. White Iverson - Like.. Well fuck, everyone, this is the first song from the album I heard. While I don't like it, it's certainly at least more tolerable than the previous choices.

3. Up There - Okay, this song sort of fixes my overarching complaint of the album, with it being boring. An instrumental like this is what helps it. It feels like Malone finally realizing that he shouldn't have 'hard' beats if he's going to sound bored. This song fits perfectly.

2. Congratulations (ft. Quavo) - Okay yeah. This was the big hit of the album, along with White Iverson. And while I'm usually an advocate of the possibility of less hyped songs being better, I have to give this song credit. It has really nice vocals and probably has the most unique sound on the album. Here we are at Number 2 and we've hit the first song I actually like. Good job Post Malone, you fucking jackass.

1. Cold - Holy shit, this song sounds so nice. It has a really good instrumental, mixed with really good vocals. As I already said, I don't really like the album or the artist, but this review was a request. Regardless of this, I genuinely enjoy this song. So that's nice.

---

TL;DR this album is boring. I've heard a lot about it, and I can safely say it is overrated. It is genuinely one of the worst albums I've ever listened to.
    Hey, I'm Katz, and I'm a former Global Moderator! Always here to talk! If you haven't already, register an account!

Blog Entries
    I've probably listened to this album 6 or so times since it came out. I have my definitive ranking already, and I'm ready to make this, keeping in mind that there is not a single bad song on this album.

Episode 3: DAMN. (Kendrick Lamar) [2017]

14. BLOOD. - You can't really blame me for ranking this song last. It's the intro. It's not bad, and it sets the stage for the concept of the album, but it's just that. It's just the intro to an amazing and unique concept album.

13. FEEL. - Again, I don't dislike this song. The reason it's down here so low is just that it has a bit of a slower tone. I still really like the song and it has some really good flows, it's just not as good as the rest. Also typing this has made me realize that this is not going to be an easy album to rank.

12. ELEMENT. - Okay here's the part where it's really hard to rank this album. It really is a strong album and contender for album of the year only 1/3 into 2017. He kills the flow on this one, and it has a haunting instrumental that sounds like ghosts or something cool like that. Yeah let's go with that. A haunting instrumental.

11. LUST. - I love how dark this song feels and sounds, considering the name. It's got a really cool chorus that is reminiscent of some late 80's and primarily 90's rap. The chorus is probably the best part, though it has really good flows.

10. LOVE. (FEAT. ZACARI.) - The counterpart to the previous song on this list and on the album, LOVE. features some really smooth vocals from Zacari, a solid and simple enough instrumental, with some Kendrick vocals reminiscent of Poetic Justice, and all wrapped together with the consistently great production quality of the album and flows in Kendrick's regard.

9. LOYALTY. (FEAT. RIHANNA.) - The standout great part of this song is its unique instrumental. With weird high pitched and distorted vocals speaking out, it helps to boost the combined vocals of both Kendrick and Rihanna. This is the kind of the song that really cements an album as good. Kendrick manages to sound bored during his flow but pulls it off, though it's not as good as his flow on the previous songs listed. It's carried up by the production quality, Rihanna vocals, and as I already mentioned, the instrumental.

8. YAH. - This song just sounds so dark. I know I already said that earlier about LUST., but this one is completely different. He starts with the bored vocals I complained about in LOYALTY., but just by mixing it with different vocals, sounds, and varied pitches, Kendrick manages to make it sound unique enough to not mistake for another song. For an album about Kendrick's thought process while dying, this is the perfect third song. The first song is how he dies immediately, the second song is about him thinking about the impossibility and strength that he has, and I feel like this one is the sinking realization of what actually happened.

7. GOD. - As if it were hard enough already to make my choices for the album, this last half has been almost impossible. GOD. like I just said with YAH., is perfectly placed in the album's tracklist. I feel like this is the acceptance track in relation to Kendrick's death. Right after remembering his fears in FEAR. and before his personal story in DUCKWORTH., we're presented with GOD. in the middle. With the repeating lyric and theme of "This is what God feels like", I feel like he's accepting his accomplishments and realizing just what's happening. The last minute or so gets a little bit darker as the moment is fading out and heading into the final track, DUCKWORTH.

6. DNA. - Holy shit, the first banger on the album. This is the perfect song to come off of the slow and unexciting intro that is BLOOD., super amped up, hardcore and fast paced. Mixed with two incredible instrumentals. The second instrumental is where the song truly gets amazing and earns it spot at the top half of my album ranking. With a processed voice counting down "5... 4... 3... 2... 1" the song just fucking drops into amazing territory. With hard slamming bass, processed voices haunting the background, and Kendrick's vocals getting into an eerily personal tone, DNA. transforms itself into the #6 spot.

5. HUMBLE. - The song that shook the fucking world. HUMBLE., standing as the only single off of DAMN. so far had an amazing music video with incredible camerawork, and really cemented in the feeling of "OH FUCK, HE'S BACK". While The Heart Part IV came out before HUMBLE. is actually on the album. It's arguably the hardest banger on the album, and has already blown up my car several times. In the music video, we're greeted with visuals of all sorts of different people nodding their heads to Kendrick's god tier flows, and for good reason. I don't think it's possible for me at least to listen to this song without nodding my head along. His left stroke just went viral.

4. XXX. (FEAT. U2.) - Holy shit. Kendrick Lamar may be the only person who could get fucking U2 on his song and make it be one of the best songs in his entire discography. Kendrick's vocals in this song are fucking TERRIFYING. That's the kind of voice you hear a serial killer use in a movie when they murdered their family and then confess, before dropping into his signature intensity. You can feel and hear trembling bass mixed with industrial noises and warning sirens in the background. It feels like you're truly witnessing something dangerous. This may be the darkest song on the album, honestly. U2's part isn't the best, but it fits in the song, and sounds nice enough.

3. FEAR. - Here we go, Kendrick's 7 and a half minute long song that I feel is absolutely incredible. It starts with a phone call from a relative over a dark instrumental. Then you're met with "Why god, why god, do I gotta suffer?" and other similarly heart crushing vocals. Then you get Kendrick speaking backwards for some reason. When I first heard the beginning of this song, I thought it would suck entirely. The beat itself is depressing in a good way, which mixes with Kendrick's personal vocals. The flow is incredible and compliments the instrumental perfectly. Right when you think the verse may be going on a little to long, you're greeted with my favorite chorus on the album. A synth toned, demonic sounding vocal saying, "If I could smoke fear away, I'd roll that motherfucker up." and then high pitched, sad sounding vocals. Followed by "I'm high now". This song is scary in a great way, and is one of the more personal sounding tracks.

2. PRIDE. - Ah, the duality of several songs on this album. PRIDE. is the most humble song on the album, and HUMBLE. is the most prideful. Besides the great choral vocals that start off many songs on this album, you are introduced to this song with the amazing chorus. It has some female vocals saying, "It wasn't all to share, but there. In another life, I surely was there. It wasn't all to share, but there. I care, I care.". While I won't go back on my statement that FEAR. has my favorite chorus on the album, I'm damn sure that PRIDE. has my second favorite. Hell, PRIDE. might even by tied with FEAR. Besides the chorus, Kendrick also has vocals with some distorted and processed features, first sliding up and down in pitch. Then the rest of the song is complimented with Kendrick vocals that just sound like he had his soul sucked out in one fell swoop, and you're experiencing the feelings all with him.

1. DUCKWORTH. - Yeah. "It was always me vs. the world, until I found it's me vs. me. Why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why?" These haunting choral vocals are what start of this personal tale. Then some shouting saying that what happens on earth stays on earth and that they're gonna send it back. Then we have Kendrick telling his personal tale, complimented with some of his crispiest and most solid sounding vocals on the album. He absolutely fucking murders the flow on this one, mixing with the vocal laced instrumental. We learn the tale of Anthony, the man who got Kendrick signed. He talks about how Anthony meets a man named Ducky, who was responsible for a shooting inside of KFC. From now on, it's referred to as the chicken incident. He says that if Anthony killed Ducky, then the greatest rapper would never have been signed because Anthony would've been in jail. But we learn it's not because Anthony would've been in jail, but because Ducky is Kendrick's father. Then we hear a gunshot, and Killer Queen uses Bites the Dust the whole album plays super sped up in reverse. Then we're greeted by the first thing Kendrick says after he got shot... The first thing he said in BLOOD.... "So I was takin' a walk the other day." Damn. This album is amazing.

Poles's Avatar Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    it's pretty great

The new Kendrick album was fire, been playing it constantly since it dropped. our rankings are pretty similar though I probably would've made humble a bit higher. Duckworth is so good lmao
    So no one told you life was gonna be this way.

Blog Entries
    Got a familiar glitch so I had to circumvent it.