Thread: Samus vs Amelia Earhart (Contest Submission)

Samus vs Amelia Earhart (Contest Submission)

Context: This battle was part of the forum's "We're Back" tournament. We all had to submit an 8-8-4-4 battle based on someone else's suggestion. As far as I know, I was the only one who submitted. Until the Spring, this contest is pretty much dead, so here's the battle I submitted. I believe this was Janet's suggestion. Just a disclaimer: this is the first full battle I ever wrote, and I knew next to nothing about either character, so the references may not be the best.

EPIC RAP BATTLES OF HISTORY!
    SAMUS ARAN
    VS
    AMELIA EARHART
    BEGIN!

SAMUS:
    I've been to Hell and back, fighting herds of space pirates
    So this bounty hunter's primed to take down a western pilot
    Since you're just an overrated flyer with a dying Legacy
    The only thing keeping it alive are the conspiracies
    I'm the women's gaming icon, just look at my reviews
    I've seen Metroids less dreadful looking than you
    Ridley me this, how can you claim female power in your name
    When your husband's the only reason that you're famous in the first place

AMELIA EARHART:
    The only real Alien pirate here is Metroid
    Step back, sweetie, watch a space girl get destroyed
    All my accomplishments are real, unlike that of this joker
    When it comes to your games, the other M’s for “mediocre”
    I’ve ascended new heights, you’re like a shadow from the sky
    I’m so fly, and even though I’ve died, my spirit stays alive
    The only asset you’ve got is your pixelated bum
    I’ve got Ninety Nine problems, lack of integrity’s not one

SAMUS:
    Ninten-don't try to act like some hero, Earhart
    I fight in space, I'd hardly find flying in the air hard
    You’re gonna crash and burn from the force of this dissing
    Your decent bars are just like the rest of you: missing

AMELIA EARHART:
    I wore my honor until the very end; you've lost your suit, Samus
    Don’t need to be a Woman of Steel to be a hero from Kansas
    A pioneering flying force for human rights, like no other
    I'm killing this beat, like Ridley with your mother

Rap Lyrics Meanings
    Spoiler: 

I've been to Hell and back, fighting herds of space pirates
    So this bounty hunter's primed to take down a western pilot
    Samus is a bounty hunter who has been through a lot of struggles and trageties in her life. She says that given her battle experience, the rap battle should pose no challenge compared to Earhart. Also, use of the term "primed" referencing Metroid Prime.

Since you're just an overrated flyer with a dying Legacy
    The only thing keeping it alive are the conspiracies
    Name dropping "Metroid Legacy". Samus claims that Earhart is only well known today for her mysterious disappearance and the conspiracy theories that came from it.

I'm the women's gaming icon, just look at my reviews
    The Metroid games have consistently great reviews by both fans and critics alike. Samus is also one of the first lead female roles in gaming, making her a staple in gaming history.

I've seen Metroids less dreadful looking than you
    Along with being the name of the game, metroids are a type of parasitic species in the games that look quite ugly. Samus is saying that even some metroids are better looking than Amelia, using the term "dreadful" to reference the cancelled game "Metroid Dread".

Ridley me this, how can you claim female power in your name
    Wordplay of one of the main antagonists of the game, Ridley, with the phrase "Riddle me this..."

When your husband's the only reason that you're famous in the first place
    Amelia's husband was a writer and publisher who contributed to campagning for her and getting her name public attention. Samus is saying that she's not as much of an independent woman because she needed a man to get her name out there.

The only real Alien pirate here is Metroid
    Metroid has been frequently compared to the Alien movie franchise, since the games were inspired by the latter. There are so many simularities, that Earhart is accusing Metroid of ripping them off. The term "Alien pirate" is a double entendre here. It can mean a pirate (someone who steals) of the Alien movies, or it can refer to the space pirates from the games (being from space, they would be aliens).

Step back, sweetie, watch a space girl get destroyed
    Amelia is talking down to Samus, building up to later in the battle when she compares Samus's accomplishments to her own.

All my accomplishments are real, unlike that of this joker
    The classic argument that one opponent is real while the other is merely fictional.

When it comes to your games, the other M’s for “mediocre”
    Reference to the metroid game "Metroid: Other M" by assigning that "Other M" with the word "mediocre" to describe how Earhart feels about the series.

I’ve ascended new heights, you’re like a shadow from the sky
    Earhart is saying how her work was more groundbreaking to society than Samus, using "ascended new heights" as a metaphor for flying. She also looks down (quite literally) at Samus's work as just a mere shadow on the ground. This is also a reference to an Amelia Earhart quote: "You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky".

I’m so fly, and even though I’ve died, my spirit stays alive
    Aviation pun with the rap term "so fly". Earhart says that even in death, the accomplishments she left behind are still impacting the world to death, refuting Samus's previous claim that her legacy was dying.

The only asset you’ve got is your pixelated bum
    One of the things that Samus is known for is her attractive body, often being regarded as the "sexiest woman in gaming". Earhart uses this to discredit Samus's staple as female empowerment by saying her body is the only thing she has going for her.

I’ve got Ninety Nine problems, lack of integrity’s not one
    A continuation from the previous line, Earhart says that unlike Samus, she has the integrity to gain worldwide attention without having to show off her body. References "The Ninety Nines", which was an organization for female pilots Earhart was part of.

Ninten-don't try to act like some hero, Earhart
    Wordplay with "Nintendo"

I fight in space, I'd hardly find flying in the air hard
    Double rhyme with "Earhart" and "air hard". Samus is saying that given the fact that she regularly battles in space, Earhart's struggles seem easy in comparison. Also, space has no gravity, so staying in the air would physically be easier in Samus's conditions.

You’re gonna crash and burn from the force of this dissing
    Earhart disappeared over the Pacific Ocean during a flight around the world, when her plane most likely crashed. Samus is suggesting that crash occured from her verses.

Your decent bars are just like the rest of you: missing
    Earhart's body has been missing for over 80 years (though recent bone discoveries have shown to be very likely hers). Samus is saying how, just like the rest of her body, Earhart's good lines are missing from her verse.

I wore my honor until the very end; you've lost your suit, Samus
    Keeping the theme of Earhart having more integrity than Samus, she is making the claim how she died honourably. She also says that Samus lost what made her badass and uses the Power Suit as a metaphor.

Don’t need to be a Woman of Steel to be a hero from Kansas
    Earhart's making the point that she doesn't need a fancy metallic Power Suit to still have a mark on history, using "Woman of Steel" as a reference to "Man of Steel" (AKA, Superman). Some Superman movies depict him as currently living in Kansas, which is also where Earhart was born.

A pioneering flying force for human rights, like no other
    Amelia Earhart has been an early supporter for the Equal Rights Amendment, which ensures fair legal rights to both men and women. She also flew in a very early stage in aviation, making her a "pioneer" in that regard as well.

I'm killing this beat, like Ridley with your mother
    When Samus was young, her parents were both killed. Specifically, her mother was eaten by the space pirate Ridley. So "killing this beat" is a reference to her mother getting killed by Ridley.
    I made "Eye of the Spider"...that's my contribution to the internet. What's yours?

Brad's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    you're a winner in the tournament of my heart.

Think Earhart won and liked the end line, reminded me of Darwin's

Spoiler: 

Quote Originally Posted by Juiz
    when you make a post and brad instantly buries it and you decide that maybe suicide is the answer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sane
    Brad didn't do shit to save the forum it was all NukeL3AR
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle
    fking brad with his white writing on a white background
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig
    Brad I swear to god I'll Fortnite dance on your grave
    Quote Originally Posted by Adonis
    brad can i hit ur juul please bro just one hit
    Quote Originally Posted by Wumbo
    “Bumblin’” Brad sent in a paper claiming to have “interviewed” me! Wrong! I have done no such thing, and Liddle Bradley had to sit in his room by himself and make up quotes in order to get his work “published”. Despite the negative forum covfefe, the Fake News Media controlled by Globalist Sam Bama is whipping itself into a frenzy trying to make up lies about your favorite forumer (Me!)

Thanks. I was going for the less clever, but more burn-type last line. Actually, the fact that it shared the "mother" rhyme with Darwin was unintentional.
    I made "Eye of the Spider"...that's my contribution to the internet. What's yours?