View Poll Results: Who won?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Burger King had it his way!

5 35.71%
  • I'm lovin' Ronald McDonald for this one!

1 7.14%
  • Wendy kept it fresh!

8 57.14%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ronald McDonald vs The Burger King Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Umbreon View Post
    I mean outside of Jefferson vs Douglas, the last time we had a battle where it felt a character was made to lose was like....i dont even remember...I wanna say Beiber vs Beethoven but im 99% sure there's others. Im sure they just don't like having those kinds of battles anymore.
    I'd say Frank Sinatra, Lance Armstrong, Thomas Edison, Miley Cyrus, Adolf Hitler (3 times), Donald Trump (kinda talked himself into a loss with the n-word), and potentially Bruce Banner all got forced losses to some degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Samos View Post
    I think Colonel Sanders vs General Tso is a funny match-up, though I don't really know if there's enough well-known material there for a whole battle. Honestly, probably best to not use Colonel Sanders at this point, it'd feel like a retread and I don't think there's that much to say really.
    In that case, my only issue with this battle is that a deserving character has been denied EVER being in this series, in favor of two characters that kinda just feel like afterthoughts...But whatever, the battle's great as it is, so I won't throw a hissy fit or anything...

yaknow I really like that they went in and added the ice cream machine line

in like every reaction video I've seen, the person watching chimes in with "BROKEN!" and its great
    just such a fun, put-a-smile-on-your-face line

Quote Originally Posted by Mathdino View Post
    I'd say Frank Sinatra, Lance Armstrong, Thomas Edison, Miley Cyrus, Adolf Hitler (3 times), Donald Trump (kinda talked himself into a loss with the n-word), and potentially Bruce Banner all got forced losses to some degree.
    Thank you!

And definitely glad you mentioned Hitler, Trump & Banner.

Anytime there's a battle with more than just a light dusting of SJW bullfuckery - prepare for something extremely one-sided. As great as ERB has been throughout the years, their products entertainment always tends to take a lunging step back at the opportunity for social commentary.

Even Romney vs Obama, which is the one time I feel they kept the verses on even footing, they still painted it in a blatant "hero versus villain" format.

Katz's Avatar Ladybug Pajamas
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justinian I View Post
    yaknow I really like that they went in and added the ice cream machine line

in like every reaction video I've seen, the person watching chimes in with "BROKEN!" and its great
    just such a fun, put-a-smile-on-your-face line
    literally my only thoughts on the battle. don't have anything to say otherwise.
    Hey, I'm Katz, and I'm a former Global Moderator! Always here to talk! If you haven't already, register an account!

In my island of dreams, you are with me it seems

Quote Originally Posted by Aspirer View Post
    Thank you!

And definitely glad you mentioned Hitler, Trump & Banner.

Anytime there's a battle with more than just a light dusting of SJW bullfuckery - prepare for something extremely one-sided. As great as ERB has been throughout the years, their products entertainment always tends to take a lunging step back at the opportunity for social commentary.

Even Romney vs Obama, which is the one time I feel they kept the verses on even footing, they still painted it in a blatant "hero versus villain" format.
    I actually overwhelmingly agree with the "SJW politics" spouted by those battles... and still hate those battles. Handicapping their opponent by giving them intentionally weak bars is some shitty white knight bullshit. I think Banner vs Jenner could've potentially been a strong battle, but you don't need to treat Jenner with kid gloves. It makes the battle obviously weak (because no one is showing up for lame bars), it makes it VERY obvious that its pushing a political agenda, and—to be frank—its condescending to the person (and people) they're trying to promote. They can handle real disses like everyone else!

On the other hand, I also hate the really lazy racist disses that get trotted out every time there's a battle using an Asian rapper. It's not that I find them offensive—it's battle rap, and the point is to offend. It's that they lack creativity and specific knowledge about the rapper in question. Huge portions of Clint Eastwood's verses against Bruce Lee could've just as easily been found in a battle entitled "Clint Eastwood vs. Random Chinese Man We Found Outside Our Office."

My point is, across the board, if ERB wants to create consistently great battles AND promote inclusive politics, they'd be better off just treating every battle rapper they use as distinct individual historical figure, and giving everyone the absolute strongest, most incisive, most personalized and specific bars they can, no matter who they're battling.

Quote Originally Posted by themcalistershow View Post
    I actually overwhelmingly agree with the "SJW politics" spouted by those battles... and still hate those battles. Handicapping their opponent by giving them intentionally weak bars is some shitty white knight bullshit. I think Banner vs Jenner could've potentially been a strong battle, but you don't need to treat Jenner with kid gloves. It makes the battle obviously weak (because no one is showing up for lame bars), it makes it VERY obvious that its pushing a political agenda, and—to be frank—its condescending to the person (and people) they're trying to promote. They can handle real disses like everyone else!

On the other hand, I also hate the really lazy racist disses that get trotted out every time there's a battle using an Asian rapper. It's not that I find them offensive—it's battle rap, and the point is to offend. It's that they lack creativity and specific knowledge about the rapper in question. Huge portions of Clint Eastwood's verses against Bruce Lee could've just as easily been found in a battle entitled "Clint Eastwood vs. Random Chinese Man We Found Outside Our Office."

My point is, across the board, if ERB wants to create consistently great battles AND promote inclusive politics, they'd be better off just treating every battle rapper they use as distinct individual historical figure, and giving everyone the absolute strongest, most incisive, most personalized and specific bars they can, no matter who they're battling.
    I've always thought the idea that Banner v Jenner was created just to push an "agenda" is just so silly...
    like, its far from my favourite battle but

they've clearly stated that the reason Hulk's verses were shorter is because it fits his character. Hulk canonically doesn't talk much

they did the same thing with Poe (King's verses were waayy longer) and noone batted an eye

and people act like there were no harsh disses against Jenner... like, Hulk basically suggested she only came out as trans to make more money ("just one more thing Bruce do for cash"). how is that treating her with "kid gloves"

it really seems like most people would have preferred an onslaught of straight up transphobic insults and lame "attack helicopter" memes. which is just, come on... the battle would not age well, and plus it would become the same problem u mentioned with Eastwood and Lee where its just a bunch of generic and uncreative jokes that could be thrown at any transgender person. I think its a sign that the erb crew are good writers/comedians that they were able to diss Jenner without going for the low hanging fruit. there's plenty of reason to criticize Caitlyn Jenner as a person, her gender is not one of em.

not tryin to start an argument, just my 2 cents
    Last edited by Justinian I; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Justinian I View Post
    there's plenty of reason to criticize Caitlyn Jenner as a person, her gender is not one of em.
    I agree with that, I just wish it did MORE. "Just you being you is enough to diss you" is certainly true of Jenner... but I didn't really hear the disses to back it up. I definitely 100% would have liked the battle even less if it just made a lot of transphobic jokes. I think a fully-fleshed out verse full of substantive, brutal disses of Caitlyn Jenner as a person without using any trans jokes would've been great. I think people could've accepted long verses delivered in "Hulk speak."

As far as Poe vs. King goes... I actually DO take issue with the weakness and length of Poe's verses, but I always got the distinct impression that they let Watsky write his own lines, and he chose to focus more on playing with sound and rhythm than Poe/King references... which made Poe's parts impressive from a delivery standpoint, but kind of underwhelming as battle rap. It bothers me less than the Banner/Jenner episode, though, because regardless of the politics and balance between rappers, Poe/King is more fun to listen to musically.

To say I *hate* Jenner/Banner is probably overstating it, to be honest. I just find it underwhelming and frustrating, and feel like it could've been legitimately great if they'd handled it a little more fearlessly.

This has been kind of rambly and all-over-the-place, but I definitely appreciate your perspective and hope you receive my light disagreement in a friendly spirit rather than a combative one.

Quote Originally Posted by themcalistershow View Post
    This has been kind of rambly and all-over-the-place, but I definitely appreciate your perspective and hope you receive my light disagreement in a friendly spirit rather than a combative one.
    of course, you're good! I appreciate hearing another perspective as well

I generally don't have problems with battles being lopsided in terms of how many lines each rapper gets if there's a thematic reason behind it.
    for Poe and King, I think it was because Poe is known for poems and short stories while King is known for longer novels.
    for Hulk and Jenner, Hulk is known to speak in short simple phrases, while Jenner is mainly known now as an outspoken celebrity & advocate

buuut as much as I defend the battle for being not as terrible or "politically biased" as people say, I completely agree it could have been better as a rap battle. its not one I often go back and listen to. I actually find Jenner's lines more underwhelming than Hulk's - although she has more of them, many are just kind of pointless and dumb (the "kitchen tile" line comes to mind; or the lion witch and the wardrobe reference which is a clever line but makes no sense in this particular battle)

anyways this got pretty off topic now, sorry mods