Page 516 of 519 FirstFirst ... 16416466506514515516517518 ... LastLast
Results 5,151 to 5,160 of 5189

Thread: List of ERBoH Ideas

I hope they don't do Karl Marx vs. Jordan Peterson. Peterson is too milquetoast and likely won't be prominent for very much longer. If they want an Epic battle for a giant like Marx (and they should) the best choice imo would be: Ayn Rand.

She's a fucking character, brooding Russian genius lady who lived through the Russian Revolution, emigrated to the States where she somehow wound up working for people like Cecil B. DeMille, writing a successful Broadway play, writing blockbuster novels and founding her own philosophy (which helped to inspire the modern libertarian party).

It's everything ERB is or aspires to be, and if they waste Marx on a relatively uninteresting flavor of the week like Peterson, it would be supremely disappointing.

I'd also love to see them treat Andy Warhol; again, a major character with an aesthetic to match. It's tempting to match him with a fellow artist, but seeing as how they've already covered Picasso and the Renaissance masters, I might play off of his famous "fifteen minutes of fame" observation instead -- maybe someone like Kim Kardashian?

Finally, I'd like to see them come back to professional wrestling at some point. Hogan/Kim does not hold up well, imo (and actually it wasn't great at the time, either). Lloyd's Savage was really great, actually, but Hogan...? A wasted opportunity. John Cena or Steve Austin would be likely candidates, as of course would be the Rock, but instead my suggestion is the impresario: Vince McMahon.

They could make it into a promoter battle royale, with McMahon, Dana White, Don King, and the granddaddy of them all, P.T. Barnum.

Quote Originally Posted by donathos View Post
    I hope they don't do Karl Marx vs. Jordan Peterson. Peterson is too milquetoast and likely won't be prominent for very much longer. If they want an Epic battle for a giant like Marx (and they should) the best choice imo would be: Ayn Rand.

She's a fucking character, brooding Russian genius lady who lived through the Russian Revolution, emigrated to the States where she somehow wound up working for people like Cecil B. DeMille, writing a successful Broadway play, writing blockbuster novels and founding her own philosophy (which helped to inspire the modern libertarian party).

It's everything ERB is or aspires to be, and if they waste Marx on a relatively uninteresting flavor of the week like Peterson, it would be supremely disappointing.

I'd also love to see them treat Andy Warhol; again, a major character with an aesthetic to match. It's tempting to match him with a fellow artist, but seeing as how they've already covered Picasso and the Renaissance masters, I might play off of his famous "fifteen minutes of fame" observation instead -- maybe someone like Kim Kardashian?

Finally, I'd like to see them come back to professional wrestling at some point. Hogan/Kim does not hold up well, imo (and actually it wasn't great at the time, either). Lloyd's Savage was really great, actually, but Hogan...? A wasted opportunity. John Cena or Steve Austin would be likely candidates, as of course would be the Rock, but instead my suggestion is the impresario: Vince McMahon.

They could make it into a promoter battle royale, with McMahon, Dana White, Don King, and the granddaddy of them all, P.T. Barnum.

Karl Marx vs Ayn Rand is a brilliant idea.

Brad's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    I don't think we ever see Ayn Rand or Jordan Peterson in a rap battle. Not mainstream enough. Karl Marx MAYBEEE but I wonder who he would face

Woah Mama:

Spoiler: 

Quote Originally Posted by Juiz
    when you make a post and brad instantly buries it and you decide that maybe suicide is the answer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sane
    Brad didn't do shit to save the forum it was all NukeL3AR
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle
    fking brad with his white writing on a white background
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig
    Brad I swear to god I'll Fortnite dance on your grave
    Quote Originally Posted by Adonis
    brad can i hit ur juul please bro just one hit
    Quote Originally Posted by Wumbo
    “Bumblin’” Brad sent in a paper claiming to have “interviewed” me! Wrong! I have done no such thing, and Liddle Bradley had to sit in his room by himself and make up quotes in order to get his work “published”. Despite the negative forum covfefe, the Fake News Media controlled by Globalist Sam Bama is whipping itself into a frenzy trying to make up lies about your favorite forumer (Me!)

What do you think about:

Robin Hood vs. Billy the Kid?
    Tyler Durden vs. Yugi Moto?

And also, for Flash in the pan:
    Captain Marvel (Shazam) vs. Captain Marvel (Carol)?
    Last edited by Ichimaru; 02-03-2019 at 02:34 PM.
    Celine Dion vs. Withey Houston
    Yugi vs. Tut
    Neo vs. Naruto (last Matrix fight)
    Wolverine vs. ???
    Terry Fox vs. ???
    Homer Simpson vs. Brad Pitt
    Monkey D. Luffy vs. Jules Verne
    Battle Royale of Princes (Prince of Persia, Fresh Prince, Prince William, the signer...)

Winners: Bill O'Reilly, Vader, Lincoln, Sarah Palin, Kim Jong-il, Beetoven, Hawking, Genghis Khan, Bonaparte, Billy Mays, Gandalf, Shakespeare, Mr. Rogers, Columbus, Nice Peter, Hitler, Master Chief, Wright Brothers, Michael Jackson, Cleopatra, Hal 9000, Mercury, Lincoln, Doctor Who, Clint Eastwood, Sherlock Holmes, Moses, Eve, Ghandi, Tesla, Ruth, Mozart, Lenin, Vader, Capone, Joan, Bob Ross, Muhammad Ali, JP Morgan, Walter White, Goku, Stephen King, Newton, Wallace, Turtles, Stay Puff Marshmallow Man, Juliet (only Juliet), Thor, Hannibal Lecter, Oprah, Michael Bay, Lewis & Clark, David Copperfield, Terminator, Confucius, Ceasar, Walt Disney, Boba Fett, J.R.R. Tolkien, Julia Child, Frederic Douglass, Austin Powers, Bruce Banner, Catherine the Great, Donald Trump, Ash Ketchum, Stevie Wonder, Wayne Gretzky, Roosevelt, EpicLloyd, Mark Zuckerberg, Wolverine, Guy Fawkes.

My first suggestion for a future battle: [Marcus Vipsanius] Agrippa vs. [Marquis de] Lafayette (Gilbert du Motier).

The connection between these two figures: Both spectacular strategists and commanders who where out-shined by their more politically active counterparts (explanation below)

Agrippa: Lieutenant and right-hand man of Augustus Caesar [Octavian], Agrippa was a loyal friend and superb tactician. Agrippa was present at a number of defining battles during the civil wars following the death of Julius Caesar, including Philippi and his defining moment at Actium (supporting Augustus, then Octavian in both affairs.) the issue is that there are accounts that Augustus himself, while the acting head at the time, often played a smaller part in the battles themselves than initially thought. There are accounts of Augustus falling ill before many engagements, leaving Agrippa to take his place. As a result, it is Agrippa who has more of a hand in winning battles, but it is Augustus that gets the credit.

It is fair to note, however, that Augustus was the only person that had any legitimate claim to rule Rome and needed whatever reputation and fame he could get, and it is argued that Agrippa knew this: Agrippa would be much better off with Augustus' good graces than making himself an enemy of Augustus. The Argument is that Agrippa played along, basically hoping that he bet on the right horse and would get a nice pay-day out of it. In the end, he does all of the (military) heavy lifting, while Augustus is the man in the spotlight.

Lafayette: A young man of noble French birth, Lafayette is most well known for his part in the American Revolutionary War: At the age of just 20 years old, he came to America to help her fight the British. Upon his arrival, he was introduced to George Washington, and a friendship established. He was added to Washington's staff and was thrust into the Revolution. He was present and fought at Valley Forge and Monmouth, among others, commanding American forces.

What is often overlooked is that prior to Lafayette's arrival, the success rate of the Continental Army under Washington was spotty. However Lafayette was one of many key foreign players that helped bolster American forces and help win the revolution (such as the Prussian officer [Baron] Friedrich von Steuben.) Lafayette's contribution to the American fight for independence is immense: He is often considered the spark for the Franco-American "Romance" that would later encourage France to send some of its Army and Navy to support America later in the Revolution. It has been argued that without Lafayette, there would be no French aid, most notably at Yorktown. With no french navy to Blockade Yorktown, Cornwallis escapes, and the outcome of the entire Revolution is (could be) called into question. However, much of his accomplishments are often overlooked and attributed to Washington.

Lafayette had a much more humble demeanor, and many argue that he simply fought/led because he enjoyed it (he supposedly offered to serve in the Continental Army without pay), and that he helped America because of his shared love of the ideas of Freedom and Liberty. But because he was so young and a foreigner, he had no use (nor possibly any want) for gaining and accumulating fame and notoriety, so he too had no qualms with Washington taking credit for conflicts.

--

Both of these characters fly under the radar with their respective giants of historical counterparts, but both are deserving of study and mention in history. It could also be argued that these two are similar because they both fought in Revolutions (Agrippa is the stretch here as it depends on what one considers a "Revolution", "Rebellion", or a "Civil War," Historically and literally speaking, the American "Revolution" was actually a civil war between England and what it considered to be its colonies. But hey, "History is written by the victors"-Churchill. While the conflicts of the 2nd Triumvirate and then between Augustus and Octavian are mostly considered civil wars, the former could be seen as a revolution as they begin to lay down the foundation for a changing from the Dictatorship set forth by Julius Caesar to an Imperial system to be put in place by Augustus, but that is a debate far to complex to get into here.)

Hey guys! I've been lurking for years, and finally decided to join and discuss things a little.
    I didn't read the 516 pages of character ideas, but I'd like to know what you think of these characters:
    Van Gogh must have obviously got mentioned a lot of times, but who can he face?
    Solomon is a huge, biblical character who could do great in an ERB.
    Louis XIV (the Sun King) is basically the XVIIth century in person. Again, huge character.
    I was also thinking about Fyodor Dostoevsky, one of the biggest writers of history...
    (By the way I think Warhol VS Kardashian is pretty clever!)
    Last edited by EspritChartrain; 02-06-2019 at 04:43 AM.

Back again for a second suggestion. Just like with Agrippa and Lafayette, these two combatants come from similar time periods. If my memory serves, there has yet to be a battle between Naval commanders. This one should work very well I hope:

[Lord Viscount Horatio] Nelson vs. Themistocles

Ok both of these gentlemen have some pretty lofty resumes, but I will try to stick with the important stuff:

Nelson: Now Nelson, as a Captain and Admiral in the English Navy, had a number of battles against Napoleon's Navy during the Napoleonic wars that lend to his fame. However, it was the decisive battle of Trafalgar that won Nelson immortality within the annals of history. The Battle was off the coast of Gibraltar and pitted an outnumbered English Royal Navy, commanded by Nelson, against a superior Combined fleet of Spanish and French Ships, commanded by Fredrico Gravina and Pierre-Charles Villeneuve, respectively (although Villeneuve was the presiding commander over the combined fleet, meaning Gravina had to follow his orders)
    The battle that followed saw that capture of numerous French and Spanish ships with not a single ship lost on the English side. The Battle, however, cost Nelson his life. The outcome of the battle cast out any possibility that Napoleon would invade England, as he would need control of the Sea in order to have a safe crossing.

One of the more nuanced details of the the battle was the implementation of the "Nelson Touch" a rather revolutionary approach to naval tactics at the time. Normally, large navies, comprised of large, lumbering Ships-of-the-Line (SoLs), would engage in long and arduous line-fights (hence the name of the ship type, as it was specifically made for this type of naval warfare) where the two combatants would line up and sail parallel to each other and duke it out until one lost enough ships or the will to fight. SoLs were designed for this type of fighting: Large, lumbering, and loaded to the brim with cannon; they were not meant to be fast or maneuverable. So when Nelson proposed that his ships charge the enemy line instead of lining up alongside like normal, it was bit of a stretch. The idea was to not engage the superior enemy in a linefight which Nelson would surely lose, but instead create a brawl, where the outcome was less certain. Trafalgar was the 1st time the Nelson Touch was put to practice on a large scale and it showed to be successful.

Themistocles: Standing in the shadow of Leonidas, Themistocles was actually the mover and shaker of the Greek alliance during the 2nd Persian invasion of Greece. He urged the various polies to invest in a navy to fight the far superior Persian force at sea. He was partially successful and was able to construct a large fleet of Triremes. Themistocles has two claims to fame, the first is the famous battle of Thermopylae (Last stand of the 300), where, while Leonidas held off the Persian land advance, it was Themistocles and his navy that kept the Persian navy from outmaneuvering the Spartans and landing troops behind them. The second, and more noteworthy for Themistocles is the decisive battle of Salamis. Arguably the battle that won the war for the Greeks (The Spartans would fight the Persians after Salamis at Plataea, but this was mostly a lost-before-it-started battle because the defeat at Salamis meant that the Persians could not sustain an army). In both Thermopylae and Salamis, the Greek Navy under Themistocles was vastly outnumbered, but in both cases they came out as victor.

In both cases, Themistocles utilized the speed and maneuverability of the Greek trireme to ram and crush the larger Persian vessels. And just like the Spartans at Thermopylae, the Greeks at Salamis hoped to catch the Persian fleet in close quarters so as to take away their advantage in numbers.

It is worth noting that Thermopylae was not a victory, and because Leonidas and Themistocles could not hold the Persians, Athens was subsequently sacked as there was no army that could stand in its way (remember, more money was spent on a navy, and the Persian land army was far superior in numbers, making any attempt to face it pure folly) and that Salamis was the place for Themistocles and the Greeks to redeem themselves.

There you have it, two titans of the Sea, I hope you like the idea, along with the previous Lafitte v Agrippa suggestion.

Moonjik's Avatar Fine Red Wine
    Blog Entries
    Aeschylus vs Sophocles vs Euripedes

The three Greek tragedians for whom we have surviving plays
    But,░in░truth,░I░have░wept░too░much!░Dawns░are░hea rtbreaking.
    Ξvery░moon░is░atrocious░and░every░sun░bitter. (ュ だ  どいロリラ威萎虞う ャイ意営縁ぇヵ)

Quote Originally Posted by Juiz
    moon you're hurting me in ways you'll never even know. lets do that suicide, buddy.

BATTLES I'D LIKE TO SEE IN SEASON 6:

Vincent van Gogh vs. Andy Warhol
    -another artist battle would be cool, these two are probably the most famous artists not yet in a battle

Montezuma vs. Ramesses II
    -just two cool historical leaders, could be a fun battle in a similar vein to Washington/Wallace Zulu/Caesar

Richard Nixon vs. Nelson Mandela
    -corrupt world leader who was exposed as a criminal vs a criminal who eventually became a benevolent world leader

Princess Diana vs. Marie Antoinette
    -two royals, one beloved by her people and one despised, both met unfortunate fates

Otto von Bismarck vs. Oda Nobunaga
    -two figures who fought for unification in their respective countries
    -Bismarck is a really interesting figure, and we really need an ancient Japanese / Samurai representative in ERB

Oliver Cromwell vs. Margaret Thatcher
    -two British leaders from widely different time periods, united in the fact that they were immensely unpopular
    -honestly I just want to see what ERB would do with Thatcher

Qin Shi Huang vs. Ronald Reagan
    -man famous for building a wall vs a man famous for tearing one down
    -ancient China should really be represented in ERB

Hayao Miyazaki vs. John Lasseter
    -two animation giants: Ghibli vs. Pixar, also represents traditional/2D/hand-drawn vs. modern/3D/CGI
    -lots of good material from the movies they created as well as their personal lives
    -I would LOVE to see what they would do with Miyazaki

Justinian & Theodora vs. Ferdinand & Isabella
    -"power couples" of the Mediterranean
    -R&J vs B&C was fun, I'd like to see another battle pitting two couples against each other
    -Justinian and Theodora are super fascinating and really underrated historical figures, I'd love to see ERB dig into their history

Han Solo vs. Starlord
    -Peter Quill/Starlord would be a really fun character to have in a rap battle
    -we've had a lot of Star Wars already but I think Han Solo would be fun

Nero vs. Benito Mussolini (feat. Machiavelli)
    -two brutal & machiavellian dictators from the Italian Peninsula duke it out
    -then, Niccolo Machiavelli himself shows up to set both of them straight
    -represents three unique periods in Italian history

most of these I didn't come up with by myself, except for the last one which I thought was a pretty clever idea

Spartacus vs Harriet Tubman

Henry the 8th vs Larry King