Page 189 of 189 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189
Results 1,881 to 1,882 of 1882

Thread: Presidential Reviews

Samos's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Tasknagsgiving Special review of The Joker vs Pennywise Part One
    Spoiler: 
    Beat:
    Relevance-Playful but creepy. I think it's pretty spot on for both of them. 2.5/2.5
    Catchiness-Not super earwormy but the primary melody is bouncy enough to get stuck in your head. Wish that wasn't the only really catchy tune from this instrumental though. 2.25/2.5
    Epic Factor-The little tweaks in the verse like near the end of Pennywise's first verse and near the end of Joker's last verse make this battle feel strangely...important I guess? 2.5/2.5
    Variety-There's definitely an effort to spice things up. I feel like it'd be stronger if it added some new instruments instead of just varying the use of the same couple of instruments from the beginning. 2/2.5
    Overall: Not one of my favorite beats in the series, I wouldn't listen to it on its own the way I would some of my other favorite beats but it's still very strong and gets the job done for these characters and this song. 9.25/10

Costumes:
    The Joker-One of those characters that's been through so many iterations that they could've gone a bunch of different directions. I like the one they went with, it's clear who it's supposed to be. There are a lot of ways they could've done the smile make-up. It could've been a much wider smile, but I think this way allows for Peter's own acting to convey the personality, which is great. I like all the choices they made here. Full Points
    Pennywise-Very impressive. Or not, I don't know how hard it is to get the exact Pennywise costume. Either way, looks perfect to me. That said, I feel like I would've appreciated a Curry cameo in some way. -0.25 Points
    Extras-Justice League cameo is cool. Glad they keep the green screen footage all the way back from season 2 so they can still do stuff like this. Full Points

Impressions:
    The Joker-Mark Hamill was the right decision here. There definitely could've been a case for the Joaquin Phoenix one since it's so relevant right now, but they really wanted to present this character in his full glory and history. I think Nicholson, Ledger, and Phoenix all did great jobs in creating their own Jokers, but Mark Hamill's Joker voice IS indisputably the most timeless and most universal concept of what the character sounds like, thus making the battle more timeless. Full Points
    Pennywise-Same as last time. Both Curry and SkarsgŚrd are pretty equally iconic in my opinion, so while I respect the decision to go with SkarsgŚrd, I still feel like Curry's voice could've been attempted for at least a couple of the lines, especially since Pennywise's voice is so dynamic anyway. Not a huge problem for me but feels like something's missing. -0.25 Points

The Joker's First Verse:
    In my first appearance the bat was supposed to slay me
    But I canít be killed thatís why they cast a Phoenix to play me (Hee-hee)
    This is clever. Also just because there's apparently some dumb debate about this; NO I don't think this is an Avatar: The Last Airbender reference at all. But it's still good
    Iím the Harlequin of Hate, the Clown prince of crime
    Youíre a sewer troll that Stephen King wrote between his lines
    Probably could've been a better joke about this one, but it's fine.
    (Ha-ha-ha-ha) Itís like cocaine, you know what I said
    I donít know how any kind of joke could ever go over that head
    I oddly love this one. Very character-driven, insulting, funny.
    They all float says the quote but your films, they all sink
    Very solid pun.
    Oh, and as far as Mr. King goes Iím a Shining man, wink! (Ha-ha-ha-ha)
    Not super hard-hitting but a nice little reference.
    I make the Justice League look like just a bunch of super schlubs
    Slight wordplay here is nice.
    You lost to a herd of nerds who call themselves the Loser's Club
    A little too fact statey on its own, but works pretty well as a comparison next to Joker's Justice League post.
    Youíll be gobbled up in Gotham, so stick to your small town
    Where youíre renowned as the if itís brown, flush it down clown
    Kind of a juvenile joke on first impression, but pretty strong when you think about the implications of Joker's big city vs. Pennywise's small town.

Verse Overview: There aren't too many GREAT lines in this verse but it's pretty deep with references, little to no filler at all. This verse is an 8.75 to me.

Pennywise's First Verse:
    Hiya, Jokie! You wanna rap?
    Rap, rap, rap, rap, rap, rap, rap, rap, rap, rap, rap, rap
    Fun but almost pointless. I guess I could make a case for this being an intimidation line, since he's suggesting he's gonna do what he did to Georgie to Joker. Either way, nothing to super write home about.
    Oh, why so serious? Youíre supposed to be the man who laughs
    But those jokes were like your new movie (Aha), mostly really sad
    Very good use of the "why so serious" reference, and a pretty funny way to reference the new movie in an insulting but entertaining way. I think this is gold.
    Beep beep, Youíre John Doe in my deadlights, youíre about to fall from a new height
    Good string of references for a set-up.
    ĎCause youíre weak and youíve lost every fight to a knight who wears underwear over his tights (Ha-ha-ha)
    Pretty basic insult. I actually like the set-up better than the punchline here.
    I haunt nightmares and Iím ruthless
    This battleís like poker, the Joker is useless
    Nice "oooh shit" line.
    Winning's not in your cards, call me Arkham Asylum, Iím crazy with bars
    I love this pun.
    Jack Nicholson played you just fine but lately the casting's declined
    Jared Leto came out trying to look like he was Tekashi 6ix9ine
    Funny. Perhaps predictable, but coupling it with the delivery and the visuals makes this hit pretty hard.
    So unless youíve got a yummy younger brother, I think youíd better run
    ĎCause Iíve got 99 red balloons, bitch, and I dare you to take one
    At first I thought this was just a random 99 Problems reference and thought it was weak, but apparently it's a reference to another song called "99 Red Balloons", which doesn't make it STRONG but makes it a little better. Still not a super satisfying finisher for me.

Verse Overview: Harder hitting disses than Joker's first verse, if a bit more hit-and-miss. 8.75 with a closer lean to 9.

If you want me to review something of yours, click me.
    Spoiler: 

We're all humans, we all make mistakes, but try to always keep the site rules in mind..

Things on here I found funny:
    Spoiler: 
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarBore
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambama
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion
    wumbo write anotherfanfic now
    have nice peter come in
    "it's nice peter bitches"
    ""and i'm going to give you all my NICE PETER"
    and then peter visits the forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Wumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by zyroda View Post
    there was a girl though once she told me she loved me she used to tell me that all the time
    she had this really adorable dog
    it was a boxer and it used to bark really loudly and throw howls in the night and never shut up and it kept her up and night before the big final exam

and i just wanted her to do well on her exam so i shot the dog
    and all of a sudden im a bad guy

and you don't love me anymore

i'm so sorry i guess i never ever do a damn thing right

everybody thinks i'm gonna cause problems

nobody wants me with them cause they think i'm gonna do all this weird stuff that's gonna cause problems
    Quote Originally Posted by TDFE Confessional
    Quote Originally Posted by GonadtheNomad
    SENT
    lies
    i never lie
    Honest Wumbabe
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperRapz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket
    Gogos are not 4 year old toys, they're a choking hazard.
    You Know What Else Is A Choking Hazard? My Penis. So you Better Stop Sucking On it So hard, Four Year Old. Make A New Thread For your Spam, You Stupid Bitch. We Try To have Fun Here. And Don't Jump On me About MLP, You Stupid little Fuck. Like YN Said, Go Get Tested Or Some Shit. I'm Tired Of Putting Up With You. Pie Licking Bitch, Go Shove A Pickle up Your Ass. Better Yet, A Banana.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambaba
    http://aattp.org/conservative-christian-rewrote-harry-potter-so-her-kids-wont-turn-into-witches/
    I'm not reading past the title

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luther King, Jr.
    Let no man pull you low enough to hate him.

Samos's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Part two of Joker vs. Pennywise
    Spoiler: 
    The Joker's Second Verse:
    Go back in your well, you giggling sewer ginger
    Calling him a ginger is funny
    You lost to a turtle that wasnít even a ninja
    Simple but funny and effective
    When I flow I go Mark Ham with ill zingers
    Decent pun
    I steal the show like Bob Kane stole from Bill Finger (Ha-ha-ha)
    Not really a dis at Pennywise but a fun reference for the fans. Sometimes I feel like I should have a separate category or way of calculating lines that don't really help the person saying them when it comes to a "winner" but make the battle better. Since I don't have that though I'm just gonna count it as a good line
    I spit acid, be wowed, every joke of mine stings
    Youíre three night lights in a cloud beat by the kid from Stranger Things
    Lots of "you lost to" or "you got beat by" jokes in this battle. I don't think that's a problem necessarily but compared to the other ones this one's kinda weak
    When I compare your antics to the fiendish schemes I revel in
    They pale like the moonlight you can dance with the devil in
    This line feels very silky smooth to me for some reason, it flows really well. The line is also pretty decent and well delivered.

Verse Overview: Not amazing but strong. Peter's delivery definitely helps elevate some of these lines from "good" to "great". 8.75.

Pennywise's Second Verse:
    Pennywise likes the devil, we have so much fun together
    But no oneís dying to play with Joker except for maybe Heath Ledger!
    THERE IT FUCKIN IS I love it. That shit HURTS. I'm really glad they went there, this whole season has been lacking in this kind of dark zingers.
    Puddin', youíre an embarrassment, Iíll beat you like you beat Harley Quinn
    Kinda simple but works pretty well as a set-up. Though I guess it's not really setting up the next line, so it's more of just an offbeat punchline. Either way it's decent.
    That purple suit is something you should only see Steve Harvey in
    Not super clever but funny.
    Ah haha! I feast on your fears!
    Iím the Derry, Maine attraction every twenty-seven years
    The pun here is okay but not really enough to make the line stand on its own.
    But you know what? I have a secret (Shh) Itís like a very special toy
    If you wanna kill a Batman eat him when heís a boy
    Fun little character driven dig. Kinda one of those lines where you have to think about it before really getting why it's a dis, but that's cool with me.

Verse Overview: Only one truly great line, but the rest of it has enough references and uses them well enough to keep the battle fresh. Another 8.75 but on the lower end this time.

The Joker's Third Verse:
    Donít you lay a finger on my Bat, you little freak
    Or I will spend a whole week knocking out those prickle teeth (Hee-hee-hee)
    People seem to really like how jealous Joker gets about Batman. I think that's another one of those that's just a bone for the audience, because the punchline isn't super strong but it gets a good reaction nonetheless.
    Tell your author for his next gangbang scene
    How about a little more PG and a lot less 13
    Spicy. I really like it.
    Even I wouldnít stoop to that kind of impropriety
    This is Earth you space demon, we live in a society (Ha-ha-ha)
    I'm so glad they did this. AND they didn't just throw it in there either, they set it up in a way that it actually really works as a dis I think. Well done.
    Iíve seen your movies so I know you donít hurry
    Good little dis inside the set-up.
    But Iíll shoo you down the drain so fast theyíll call you Tim Scurry
    Eh, could've been better after the strong set-up. I'm glad they at least referenced Tim Curry though. In a way, the fact that they didn't reference him at all until now makes this line a little better.
    Ask Robin if I drop bars, I take smiles and I leave scars
    The "Ask Robin if I drop bars" is pretty great, and works well with the visuals.
    Guards in Arkham will admit that the Joker just killed IT (Ha-ha-ha)
    Simple, but when coupled with the subtle "Scars-guard" pun and the Killing Joke visual reference, this feels like a very satisfying finisher.

Verse Overview: Very strong, more punchlines land here than any other verse up to this point. 9.25.

Pennywise's Third Verse:
    Arkham? Ha! You stole that from H.P. Lovecraft
    Fact statey but a nice deep little reference. Still wish they did a little more with it.
    Who needs guards when you couldnít even escape Cesar Romeroís mustache
    Pretty great. Funny and effective.
    You jester, Iím Montressor, Ďbout to make you my Fortunado
    And seal this battle up like it was the Cask of Amontillado (Woo)
    I don't really like how they waste an entire couplet on an Edgar Allan Poe reference with ties of questionable strength to these characters. It's not a bad thing to reference but I think this could've been done in a more subtle way.
    I spit January ember flames (Woo) You got beat by the Scooby Gang (Woo)
    The January ember reference is okay, the Scooby reference is funny but kinda wish they'd done more with it. Still glad they fit it in somewhere though.
    Iím the John Wayne of John Wayne Gacys, the underground Clown Posse, my flowís Insane
    Lot to put in for one line but these are both pretty good references.
    Poster boy for missing persons posters, Jokerís gonna float with me
    I like the "poster boy for missing persons posters" boast, and the whole line flows decently well.
    ĎCause he just messed with the best wall-eyed rapper since the Notorious B.I.G. (Wu-ha-ha)
    Again, not a bad thing to reference, and this is a pretty funny way to reference Notorious B.I.G., but not strong enough to be the finisher. Just feels like a bit too much of a stretch to comfortably end the battle. On its own though, it's a good joke.

Verse Overview: A lot of references flying in all directions here, which I like, I just wish more of them were used in a more thoughtful way. That's a nitpick though, this is a good verse with some good lines. 9.25.

Ungraded Stuff:
    Idea-I'm glad they did it. It's obvious, but in a good way, and they clearly found a lot to work with relating to these characters to make the battle special.
    Visuals-Excellent. I love the comic book thing they got going on with The Joker, I love all the visual Joker references, and I love the effects for Pennywise. Probably one of the better battles in the entire series visually.

Overall Battle: This is the best battle in years, I think. Its biggest flaw I think is that it has so many references that it doesn't know what to do with all of them, but that's probably the best possible problem a battle can have. And when it does land a joke, it lands hard and gets a great reaction. The comments section all can't agree on what part of this battle to obsess over. Kudos to ERB, if every battle was more like this then the series would be an even better series than it already is.

The Joker's Best Line: This is Earth, you space demon, we live in a society
    Tough call on this one, but I think this line has all the makings of a great line. It's a great reference, it's a funny joke, and it's a solid dis. The holy trinity. Honorable mentions to "go over that head", PG-13, and Joker just killed It.
    Pennywise's Best Line: But no oneís dying to play with Joker except for maybe Heath Ledger!
    Not a close call for me on this one, this is one of my favorite lines of the season. Some of these rap battles lately just aren't spicy enough, this is the shit I like to see in ERB. Honorable mentions are Poker, Arkham Asylum, Tekashi 6ix9ine, and Cesar Romero.

The Joker's Overall Score: 18.25/20, 91.25%, A-
    Pennywise's Overall Score: 17.75/20, 88.75%, B+

Winner: The Joker
    It is very close, a part of me wanted to swing it for Pennywise because he has most of my very favorite lines. But I think Joker's verses are better structured and the punchlines just land a little stronger overall.

Total Score: 54.75/60, 91.25%, A-

If you want me to review something of yours, click me.
    Spoiler: 

We're all humans, we all make mistakes, but try to always keep the site rules in mind..

Things on here I found funny:
    Spoiler: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambama
    wumbo write anotherfanfic now
    have nice peter come in
    "it's nice peter bitches"
    ""and i'm going to give you all my NICE PETER"
    and then peter visits the forum
    Quote Originally Posted by zyroda View Post
    there was a girl though once she told me she loved me she used to tell me that all the time
    she had this really adorable dog
    it was a boxer and it used to bark really loudly and throw howls in the night and never shut up and it kept her up and night before the big final exam

and i just wanted her to do well on her exam so i shot the dog
    and all of a sudden im a bad guy

and you don't love me anymore

i'm so sorry i guess i never ever do a damn thing right

everybody thinks i'm gonna cause problems

nobody wants me with them cause they think i'm gonna do all this weird stuff that's gonna cause problems
    Quote Originally Posted by TDFE Confessional
    Quote Originally Posted by GonadtheNomad
    SENT
    lies
    i never lie
    Honest Wumbabe
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperRapz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket
    Gogos are not 4 year old toys, they're a choking hazard.
    You Know What Else Is A Choking Hazard? My Penis. So you Better Stop Sucking On it So hard, Four Year Old. Make A New Thread For your Spam, You Stupid Bitch. We Try To have Fun Here. And Don't Jump On me About MLP, You Stupid little Fuck. Like YN Said, Go Get Tested Or Some Shit. I'm Tired Of Putting Up With You. Pie Licking Bitch, Go Shove A Pickle up Your Ass. Better Yet, A Banana.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambaba
    http://aattp.org/conservative-christian-rewrote-harry-potter-so-her-kids-wont-turn-into-witches/
    I'm not reading past the title

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luther King, Jr.
    Let no man pull you low enough to hate him.