Thread: Presidential Reviews

sane's Avatar A Beautiful Sunset at Noon
    Blog Entries
    I've missed this

Quote Originally Posted by Juiz View Post
    Good job Sane. You killed the forum.

HipsterSam's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Here's the first part of my review of Wonder Woman vs. Stevie Wonder.
    Spoiler: 
    Beat:
    Relevance-When I tried to imagine it in my head, I almost took off some points for this, since the general tune and instruments that run through the whole thing don't really feel Wonder Woman-y or Stevie Wonder-y, but listening to it again, they actually add little Amazon bongos during Wonder Woman's verses and of course there's that killer brass during Stevie's part. Plus, these two really have nothing in common aside from the names, so I don't really know if a beat that perfectly encapsulates both of them the whole time could possibly exist. I applaud them for their commitment here.2.5/2.5
    Catchiness-It's not super catchy to me, aside from the brass in Stevie Wonder's first verse. 1.75/2.5
    Intensity-I know I keep bringing up the brass, but it really is awesome and adds intensity. Other than that part, it doesn't really get me too hyped up. 2/2.5
    Variety-As I mentioned before, they did a great job of spicing up what otherwise would've been a fairly "meh" beat. It also changes up every verse, not just when the different rappers are going, so I have to give full points here. 2.5/2.5
    Overall: I really appreciate that someone (probably Peter) must have listened to the original beat and thought "this is okay, but it could be way better" and then added the extra touches. Not an AMAZING beat, but not much to criticize. 8.75/10

Costumes:
    Wonder Woman-They had a lot of options to choose from here, and I have no problems with the design they went with. The blue hair tint is pretty cool. Full Points
    Stevie Wonder-I guess T-Pain wasn't winning to shave his beard. I can't give it a full pass, but he's a decently big-name celebrity and if that was his only demand, then I think you gotta take that deal. -0.5 Points
    Extras-The effect for "nine different kids with five different mothers" is awesome. I don't even care if Lilly doesn't look exactly like all of them, it's funnier this way anyway. Full Points

Impressions:
    Wonder Woman-She doesn't really attempt a Gal Gadot impression, but I think Wonder Woman, like Superman or Ash, is one of those characters that's had so many different voices over the years that I'm not going to critique them for just letting Lilly be herself. I know some people didn't like what she did with the character and find her annoying, but I think she's fun to watch in this battle and I have no problems with her portrayal. Full Points
    Stevie Wonder-T-Pain is extremely entertaining in this. I love the decision to have him never look at the camera. It's not a dead ringer, but it sounds enough like him.Full Points

Wonder Woman's First Verse:
    Wonder Woman fly, I'm about to tell you why
    Okay for a set-up. At least there's a pun.
    Princess Diana, but this Lady don't die
    Clever.
    My rhymes are signed, sealed, and delivered on time
    You're a bald has-been, I'm in my Amazon Prime
    Really great reference mixing here.
    I tell you what I say, you bit your style from Ray!
    Nice subtle "What'd I say" reference.
    The grin and the shades and the king cobra head sway
    Okay, but probably could've been a better Ray Charles reference.
    Gods made me out of clay, then they broke the mold
    I like the wordplay here.
    I'm like Geena Davis, in a Justice League of my Own (Ow!)
    Pretty good as far as Justice League references could go.
    I Just Called to Say that you need to ditch the hair beads
    Good set-up.
    Lookin' like the Predator after some chemotherapy (Ha!)
    Kind of a basic insult, but it is accurate and funny.
    But don't be scared, I let bats down easy
    So you don't gotta worry 'bout a thing, little Stevie
    I'm a little confused as to exactly what she's saying here. It feels sort of like the opposite of a threat? Nevertheless, the references are clever.

Verse Overview: Very little fluff, and some really great uses of references here. 9.25.

Stevie Wonder's First Verse:
    I feel like this is the beginning (Ohhh...)
    But you have sucked for a few thousand years
    Not the most brilliant joke in the world, but it sounds awesome and it's funny.
    I'm a man who comes from a higher ground (Whoo!)
    And I'd say DC is a whole step down
    I love the subtle music reference. Good shit.
    I've been spitting out hits since both Fingertips
    So use the tip of your fingers and read my lips
    Really good. And sounds great with the brass
    Now how you gonna talk about a bat being blind?
    You need to echo-relocate to the 4th of July
    Pretty good.
    Because you're Miss Independent, or at least you try
    But your first story is you running off with a guy
    An example of how to do a fact statey line right. Sets it up in a way that just mentioning it really feels like an "oh shit" moment.
    Now let me tell the truth 'cause I know you got the lasso
    Good set-up.
    You got that wack flow, Sufferin' Sappho!
    Set-up is actually better than the punchline. It's not awful, but the Sufferin' Sappho reference feels a little wasted.
    I'm the ceremony master, blaster with the bars
    Just a step above filler.
    And I got more Grammys than your panties got stars
    I'm not super into this insult, since "Your panties have a lot of stars on them" isn't really a compelling insult to me. But I guess it's not the worst way of having Stevie boast about all his Grammys. And from the whole "you're a fake feminist icon" angle, I guess it can be viewed as a dig at Wonder Woman's costume. So I'd still call it a good line.

Verse Overview: Very hard-hitting and clever for the most part. Also a 9.25, though it's a slightly lower 9.25 than Wonder Woman's first verse.

Wonder Woman's Second Verse:
    Well, I'm a Woman who wonders what you're thinking
    Pretty simple, but not bad.
    Some of your records make me wish you started drinking
    An okay reference to Stevie's Teetotalism
    Even if I stick to the best selections
    Your YouTube videos raise some vision questions
    I absolutely love the double meaning here. And the visual gag is subtle and awesome.

Verse Overview: Only one really great line at the end, but the rest is fine. 8.25-8.5.

Stevie Wonder's Second Verse
    Your ignorant questions could never cause as much pain
    As never knowing how stupid you look in your airplane
    I love how they handled this joke. It's one of those lines that (unless they for some reason decided to put a different blind person against WW) is so specific to the two characters in the battle that it just feels perfect.
    You're a misguided, C-minus-on-the-Bechdel-Test joke
    I like the reference to the Bechdel Test, and this line flows well, but it's not super clever.
    And my worst song is better than your best TV show
    Basic insult.

Verse Overview: Like Wonder Woman's second verse, only one great line, but otherwise doesn't quite hit back hard enough. 8.

If you want me to review something of yours, click me.
    Spoiler: 

We're all humans, we all make mistakes, but try to always keep the site rules in mind..

Things on here I found funny:
    Spoiler: 
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarBore
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambama
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion
    wumbo write anotherfanfic now
    have nice peter come in
    "it's nice peter bitches"
    ""and i'm going to give you all my NICE PETER"
    and then peter visits the forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Wumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by zyroda View Post
    there was a girl though once she told me she loved me she used to tell me that all the time
    she had this really adorable dog
    it was a boxer and it used to bark really loudly and throw howls in the night and never shut up and it kept her up and night before the big final exam

and i just wanted her to do well on her exam so i shot the dog
    and all of a sudden im a bad guy

and you don't love me anymore

i'm so sorry i guess i never ever do a damn thing right

everybody thinks i'm gonna cause problems

nobody wants me with them cause they think i'm gonna do all this weird stuff that's gonna cause problems
    Quote Originally Posted by TDFE Confessional
    Quote Originally Posted by GonadtheNomad
    SENT
    lies
    i never lie
    Honest Wumbabe
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperRapz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket
    Gogos are not 4 year old toys, they're a choking hazard.
    You Know What Else Is A Choking Hazard? My Penis. So you Better Stop Sucking On it So hard, Four Year Old. Make A New Thread For your Spam, You Stupid Bitch. We Try To have Fun Here. And Don't Jump On me About MLP, You Stupid little Fuck. Like YN Said, Go Get Tested Or Some Shit. I'm Tired Of Putting Up With You. Pie Licking Bitch, Go Shove A Pickle up Your Ass. Better Yet, A Banana.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambaba
    http://aattp.org/conservative-christian-rewrote-harry-potter-so-her-kids-wont-turn-into-witches/
    I'm not reading past the title

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luther King, Jr.
    Let no man pull you low enough to hate him.

Glad to see you review this one. I feel like some dismiss this battle because of the matchup, but lyrically it's really good. Subjectively, this is my second favourite battle they ever made (behind Newton vs Nye).
    I made "Eye of the Spider"...that's my contribution to the internet. What's yours?

HipsterSam's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Here's the second part of my review of Wonder Woman vs Stevie Wonder.
    Spoiler: 
    Wonder Woman's Third Verse:
    Look, I don't wanna judge a Talking Book by its cover
    Good set up.
    But of the vegan buffet, you're a Full Time Lover
    One of the best fat jokes in the series, I'd imagine.
    And a part-time father, from what I've discovered
    Nine different kids with five different mothers
    Fact statey, but the "part-time father" pun makes it worth it.

Verse Overview: Strong finish. 9.

Stevie Wonder's Third Verse:
    You couldn't walk in my shoes, so stick to your reboots
    I really really like the very subtle "shoes-boots" pun.
    With plots so thin even I could see through
    Definitely the most "OOOOH SHIT" moment in the battle, as the comment section will attest to. Probably the funniest line in the battle as well. T-Pain's delivery is awesome too.
    It's not a superstition, I believe you got dissed
    Not exactly what the word "superstition" means, but it works well enough.
    Not even your tiara's coming back from this! (Yeah!) Haha!
    Pretty solid finisher, I like this pun.

Verse Overview: The first two lines are awesome, the last two lines are pretty good. I'd say a 9.75, 10 if I'm being generous.

Ungraded Stuff:
    Idea: My stance on random name based match-ups is I'm okay with them as long as they A. only happen once in a while, B. consist of two people with oddly similar names (not broad stuff like John Adams vs. John Legend), and C. are funny. Like, a stupid kind of funny. When I first heard that ERB was doing Wonder Woman vs. Stevie Wonder, I laughed, the same way I laughed when I first saw an ERB titled "Genghis Khan vs Easter Bunny". I think ERB is smart enough to know how and when to do things like this. Therefore, I approve of this match-up.
    Presentation: The editing in this battle is really strong. WW's verses particularly have some awesome visual effects going on. Stevie's verses are a little more bland and colorless, but it contrasts well with the brightness of WW's backgrounds, and T-Pain is entertaining enough to watch that it doesn't really feel like too much is lacking. Could use a little more pizzazz but there's still some really good stuff in this battle's presentation.

Overall Battle: A part of me wonders if ERB sorta thought "Ok this connection is really stupid so we gotta make sure the lyrics are especially good", because there's just a ton of subtlety and very little filler in this battle. None of this flaws are at all glaring or distracting to me. It's a ton of fun, sounds great, and is lyrically a slam dunk.

Wonder Woman's Best Line: Your YouTube videos raise some vision questions
    Probably WW's most hard-hitting line in the battle, and the visual gag especially puts it over the top for me. Honorable mentions are Amazon Prime and the Part Time Lover references in the third verse.
    Stevie Wonder's Best Line: With plots so thin even I could see through
    It's not like this one probably took especially long to write or think of, but it's too perfect. Honorable mention is DC.

Wonder Woman Overall Score: 18.5/20
    Stevie Wonder Overall Score: 18.5/20

Winner: Wonder Wonder
    This is the first time I can remember in my reviews (maybe it happened a couple times back in the day) where I actually had to do a recount because the score was so INSANELY close. I went back and forth for a while, and almost just said "fuck it" and gave it to Stevie since he has more "oh shit" factor, but I actually think Wonder Woman edges this one out by just a bit. In most other battles, Stevie Wonder would've been the clear winner, but this one is so strong that it really just comes down to who did more with the short amount of time they had, and for me Wonder Woman wasted less time and used references slightly more effectively. I do think that the "plots so thin" line is the best in the battle though.

Total Score: 55.25/60, 92%, A-
    Last edited by HipsterSam; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:17 PM.

If you want me to review something of yours, click me.
    Spoiler: 

We're all humans, we all make mistakes, but try to always keep the site rules in mind..

Things on here I found funny:
    Spoiler: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambama
    wumbo write anotherfanfic now
    have nice peter come in
    "it's nice peter bitches"
    ""and i'm going to give you all my NICE PETER"
    and then peter visits the forum
    Quote Originally Posted by zyroda View Post
    there was a girl though once she told me she loved me she used to tell me that all the time
    she had this really adorable dog
    it was a boxer and it used to bark really loudly and throw howls in the night and never shut up and it kept her up and night before the big final exam

and i just wanted her to do well on her exam so i shot the dog
    and all of a sudden im a bad guy

and you don't love me anymore

i'm so sorry i guess i never ever do a damn thing right

everybody thinks i'm gonna cause problems

nobody wants me with them cause they think i'm gonna do all this weird stuff that's gonna cause problems
    Quote Originally Posted by TDFE Confessional
    Quote Originally Posted by GonadtheNomad
    SENT
    lies
    i never lie
    Honest Wumbabe
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperRapz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket
    Gogos are not 4 year old toys, they're a choking hazard.
    You Know What Else Is A Choking Hazard? My Penis. So you Better Stop Sucking On it So hard, Four Year Old. Make A New Thread For your Spam, You Stupid Bitch. We Try To have Fun Here. And Don't Jump On me About MLP, You Stupid little Fuck. Like YN Said, Go Get Tested Or Some Shit. I'm Tired Of Putting Up With You. Pie Licking Bitch, Go Shove A Pickle up Your Ass. Better Yet, A Banana.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambaba
    http://aattp.org/conservative-christian-rewrote-harry-potter-so-her-kids-wont-turn-into-witches/
    I'm not reading past the title

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luther King, Jr.
    Let no man pull you low enough to hate him.

sane's Avatar A Beautiful Sunset at Noon
    Blog Entries
    Wonder vs Wonder is one of the best imo

Quote Originally Posted by Juiz View Post
    Good job Sane. You killed the forum.

Stryker's Avatar Tao of Blue
    Blog Entries
    If you've been able to see it review Season 1 of Daredevil.
    Stupid Quotes Coming Up
    Spoiler: